Cycling with fish: species

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I just did a water change and they seem a little more active... I will do another small one tomorrow
Keep measuring for ammonia and nitrite at a minimum. Fish-in cycling means you gotta be ready for a water change at a moments notice. Keep your (fish tank only) 5gal pail, a bailing pitcher or gravel vac hose and your dechlorinator all together for quick/easy access.

What size tank is this? Like I say, I fully stocked my 20g long with nothing more than a used sponge bubbler filter and used HOB filter (both from my other tank) and never saw ammonia or nitrites. I did big water changes anyway though.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
26 gallons I am doing exactly as you said with all my gear ready and testing water continually. Happy New Year!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
26 gallons I am doing exactly as you said with all my gear ready and testing water continually. Happy New Year!
I'm just surprised that with 26g, ~3 small fish in the tank and some used media/hard scape, you showed ammonia so quickly. I've never had that happen.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I have some ammonium in my tap water...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have some ammonium in my tap water...

Gotcha.

The other thing that could come into play is a phenomena some people have experienced when using the combination of Prime as their dechlor and an API master test kit. Some people have experienced false positives on ammonia when using these two products together.

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I'm not using prime... Im using a dechlorinator that neutralizes ammonium

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I'm not using prime... Im using a dechlorinator that neutralizes ammonium
Prime is the same thing just the difference is the brand( Seachem makes Prime). Prime is a dechlorinator that alot fishkeepers use. Sometimes when using it along with the API liquid test kit you may cone across a false positive for ammonia( obviously its not there but the test says it is), just like Freshy said. How the tank coming along ?

Ps- happy new year!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
Why add plants?
Plants eats ammonia and other wastes from fish just like the bacteria does so it helps the bacteria keep ammonia in check. it works as fertilizer for the plants. thus with a heavily planted cycled tank you almost never have to worry abt ammonia and it can also make it easier on you as you can eventually do less frequent water changes though you still need to test the water

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
Gotcha.

The other thing that could come into play is a phenomena some people have experienced when using the combination of Prime as their dechlor and an API master test kit. Some people have experienced false positives on ammonia when using these two products together.

I get that after awater change I usually show .25ppm ammonia but give it abt 2 or 3 hrs and test again its 0 so I always ignore it if it shows .25 ppm after a water change

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Before the internet, people cycled their tanks for years without knowing what they were actually doing to their fish. Now that I do know, I still cycled my tank with fish. I have a 20 gallon, and I got some water from the LFS. I bought 3 danios, because they are a hardy fish. I always over-filtrate my tanks. I over-fed the fish, and over-oxygenated the tank. I bought a placard from the store that shows ammonia, and nitrite and installed it into the tank. Whenever the amonia level stated to move toward the "dangerous side, I would do a 50% water change. Then the nitrite levels started to go spike just like the ammonia. I treated the tank the same, and did the 50% water changes. I did this probably about every 3-4 days. The fish always seemed fine, and the levels never got to the "dangerous" level on the placard. once the nitrite levels went to zero, I backed off the feeding, and checked the nitrate levels. They have been as close to zero as you can get. The fish always seemed happy and healthy, and are in my tank as I type this. I do weekly 25% water changes. I only do 25% because of how much filtration my tank has. Hope this has helped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store