Damselfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
so on my 20gallon high just a 15 watt fluroescent stip (10000k) will grow what it needs to in the live rock? What is the minimum amount of LR i could get as I don't want to spend much? Also, can I just get sand from like OSH or home depot or somthing like that? How do I vacuum the sand as the sand will be vacumed up too?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
dont worry about vaccuming the sand.

Play sand works, and is cheaper... but be careful its not high in silica... look for a brand name of SouthDown.

Live rock is usually recommended at at least a lb per gallon, but even if you cant afford that much, get what you can.

Find a couple of marine snails and hermit crabs and your set.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
will I be able to keep my puffer and mono still for a bit? They are both still small. As they grow up, I will sell them to my LFS. So if I got playsand and maybe say two pieces of live rock would that be fine? Will I have to like re cycle my tank as I have been adding salt so slowly? How much playsand would you say I get for a 20gallon tall? Like in lbs and how high in inches?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
im not the guy to talk to on the sand.. i usually just buy too much and add it until i like the level and then save the rest for future tanks. 2 pieces of LR will work OK, but if you can spend 50 or so bucks look for a deal on ebay or something of the sort... see if you can get 10-20 lbs.

The mono im pretty sure wont tolerate the higher Salinity, but again im not the guy to talk to about that as i know very very little of brackish.. only of marine and fresh im sorry to say.

Id say you could keep your puffer for a while, and the damsel should be fine.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
actually the mono when it gets larger as the puffer pretty much needs salt water. Just to let you know. Ok I'l wait for the answer for the other stuff.
Thanks

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Can I make a new thread for this to make it more specific? This is supposed to be about damsels only but is ranging form one thing to another.

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
thanks guys, does anyone have experience with this? Also, pebble, after a few days did the damsels die or you just put them in another tank? Right now, my 20H has a GSP and a small mono argentus, I know these will both require bigger aquariums but they are both still small. Should one damsel be fine with these fish?
1 out of 3 died. i just dumped it in their in non heated water in the very 1st day of setting my tank up. and yes it will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store