Dave's 90 gallon reef story

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It's the whole "great minds think alike" thing
:laugh: :laugh: I hope my tank ends up as nice as yours :D

After crowding several species of montipora and porites into the 20 with a bunch of softies, I know that some SPS don't give a hoot about softies unless they are in direct contact (although I do use carbon). When a xenia melted down in a heat wave last month, it killed a nearby capnella, and the other softies got rather pouty for a few days, but the SPS looked as nice as ever.

I do worry that I won't be able to get away with this with more sensitive SPS like Acropora and Pocilliopora.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
What a nice thing to say!

I find that I am reefing much like I garden-
I have limited space, and things have to give me "bang for my buck". While I am not opposed to creating a niche environment for something special there is a limit to how much I will fuss over anything and if it just ain't gonna make it I will dump it and replace it with something equally beautiful but a bit more thankful for my loving care.

And while my eight month old tank is by no means old enough to judge any type of success- I haven't lost anything yet. Well- one acro fell down lord knows where so it is literally lost, but everything is extending polyps, growing, and holding color.
I am forced financially to buy small colonies and even smaller frags (again just like I garden some of my exotics) but in the long run I think things adapt better this way. Get 'em young and grow 'em your way!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The tank is cycled, the sump/fuge is finished and lit, so I guess it's time for live rock. The first TBS shipment is coming in to BWI tonight, so let the fun begin.

At least this time I have a sump for urchins, hairy crabs and (hopefully not) mantises.

Photos tomorrow, if there's time to upload them.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Looking forward to pics--I guess I should get in gear and take some of the 120's, eh?

Heck, just keep the 20 setup for any mantis you get! :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
:) I can imagine. I remember someone had problems setting up a reef tank in their dorm room because their RA had heard that live rock could have dangerous hitch hikers. Think they imagined a mantis shrimp prowling down the halls beating up freshmen. :D

If I had the room, I would have a 15 high SW setup at work--but I would have to find a new place for some of my office reference manuals, and somehow that request never goes over very well. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
:p :p :p

10 days vacation, 2 4 day trips for work, 2 weekends spent putting in forms and pouring a concrete sidewalk in the back yard, dealing with a pissed off cat that has 'forgotten' his box training, working 10 hour days...Ummm...A few days being bedridden with allergies...

I'm sure I can think of more excuses! Promise, by the end of September! :laugh:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The rock and sand went in last night. I haven't bothered aquascaping much, and no close ups of the rock. The usual sponges, a few red mithrax crabs, cup corals. Nice stuff but nothing spectacular.

I also got a new little friend, who can be seen in this thread:http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33657

Joe's timing was perfect. The mantis is in an obvious hidey hole so it should be possible to get it out.

Oh, and for Wastememphis, here's a shot of the sump Mark III. It's a bit overfull right now, because I am still waiting on parts for the auto topoff. Another angle may show the baffles better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store