Dave's 90 gallon reef story

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mygreengoldfish

AC Members
Jul 26, 2004
Berkeley, CA
So far it looks nice. What kind of corals and/or fish are you going to put in it? I also would like to know how you set up the top off system and some pictures. I have a problem with alot of water evaporating, around 1 to 2 gallons a day.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
What I'm aiming for is a setup with two tall islands of live rock, one with softies and one with SPS and maybe a few LPS, and a crocea clam in the rockwork. Hopefully there will be enough space on the floor for a couple of large clams (derasa and squamosa), and for a large, isolated rock with a large sea finger gorgonian. I am going to start with what I have in the 20, add some frags, and let stuff grow.

For fish, the clowns will go in, plus a pair of banggais, some more gobies and a kole tang.

The topoff will be pretty simple. A 16 gallon polyethylene tank, connected to a float valve with flexible tubing. It's easy to post the specs if you want them.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
i'm such a fan of sumps... too bad i dont have one :-\ looking good!

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
mogurnda said:
The topoff will be pretty simple. A 16 gallon polyethylene tank, connected to a float valve with flexible tubing. It's easy to post the specs if you want them.
Please post the specs. I have a 150gal. and am having such a hard time with my sump. I need to figure something out for this thing.

Thanks!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Well, the negotiations for drilling the wall into the bathroom behind went through, so the topoff system is in place. Just need to upload some pix.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Well, here's the system. Very simple: a 16 gallon tank (US Plastics) connected to a float valve by 1/4" ID tubing. I used a $50 tank, rather than a cheaper rubbermaid tub, after reading posts about rubbermaid tubs failing from the stress of repeated filling and draining. The tank is installed in a bathroom closet, and the tubing is fed through the wall to the valve in the sump.

Here are the pieces: float valve (from Marine Depot, $15 ), adaptors to connect the 1/4" thread of the valve to the tubing (from US Plastics), plus another barbed adaptor to connect to the 3/4" bulkhead on the tank. There is also a pinch valve and quick disconnect fitting if I need to dismatle the system for maintenance or repairs.

Here it is in action in the sump. I drilled the baffle and have it running through the fuge, rather than drilling the tank. Remember to put it in the section where the depth varies.

Simple to build, less than 100 bucks, and frees me up from topping off for at least a week at a time.

Last edited:

mygreengoldfish

AC Members
Jul 26, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Thanks. I think I might try to set something up like this, probably a little small so I can fit it under my tank on top of my sump. Can't wait to see your tank up and running. Good Luck!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Last photo of phase 1

So, here it is, with the second shipment of rock. Now it's time to sit back, let the rock cure for a while, and then start to shift the stuff over from the 20.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store