Did you know....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
MacDonald's???

ahh.there's my useless trivia item for today...

Many Brits and Australians call McDonald's "MacDonalds"

Why, I don't know...

I've tried to explain this to several Brits and many look at me like I'm an idiot. "It's MAC Donalds!" umm noo... it's not...and neither are the ads I've seen in the UK...

...not that it matters... :)
its the accent..Mc..in an english accent translates to Mac..

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
way off topic

mc and mac mean "son of" and cetrainly in Scotland Mc is pronounced Mc and Mac is pronounced Mac

there are several spellings of these sort of names due to high illiteracy about 150 yrs ago+

i've seen my name as

mcmechan
mcmeechan
macmeikin
mcmeehan

...basically any which way you could prnounce it, it is spelt

back on topic...

...did you know there are often several spellings for the same scottish names due to a past history of high illitercay!...

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
...did you know there are often several spellings for the same scottish names due to a past history of high illitercay!...
Yes actually, I did. After spending part of a vacation in Scotland looking up my ancestral history, I discovered my last name meant "deformed man" or "clubfoot". Kinda wished I'd spent it looking for girls now....

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Oooh on spellings, I read somewhere that over the course of his life, William Shakespeare (the currently accepted spelling) spelled his names in over 23 different ways.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
If you add up the numbers 1-100 consecutively (1+2+3+4+5 etc) the total is 5050.
I had to do that for an extra credit math problem in middle school once.... I don't know if this method is standard but I told my dad I was trying to look for a pattern so I didn't have to do the arithmetic and he was like
"I don't want to flat out tell you, but what's 1 + 100?" 101
"2 + 99?" 101
"3 + 98" ...101

I caught on and multiplied 101 by the number of pairs, 50, and yup.. 5050

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I thought we were supposed to provide facts from our own mental databases... I know a lot of information but not a lot of trivial facts. I'll see what I can do. These might not be 100% exact to the detail, but I'm doing them from memory.

Aspirin is derived from a tree that had been used medicinally for a very very long time.
Aspirin is also chemically related to the popular acne-fighting and hyperkeratosis treatment ingredient salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy acid which exfoliates by melting the surface of the skin and the inside of the pores (unique property, it can permeate oil, alpha hydroxy's can't). It's the only beta hydroxy acid, while there are multiple alpha hydroxy acids.

Hair and skin have a natural pH range of 4.5 - 5.5

Hairs on the head (tertiary) grow an average of 1/2" a month. Eyebrows (Secondary) grow i believe 1/8 - 1/16" a month.

Over all of your normal skin (excluding nipples, perhaps some other places), sebaceous (oil) glands are only located inside hair follicles, and hte oil only secretes onto the surface of the skin through the follicle opening. Real "pores" are technically only sweat pores, which do not get "clogged".

Using scrubs (with hard little scrubbing abrasive beads in them) in the long run will make your skin thicker and rougher, as the beads cause micro tears in the epidermis, causing the skin to thicken the epidermis in defense. A thickened epidermis means more visible wrinkles, possibly more problems with acne and folliculitis, and roughness.

Grass can communicate warning signals chemically to other areas of grass when it is being cut, eaten by insects, etc. The other areas of grass prepare natural defenses, which tend to repel the offending insects.

Your fingertips and lips correspond to the largest of the areas in the brain devoted to senses (which run in strips down either side of your brain and are sectioned by area).

The Phantom Limb phenomenon, where an amputee still senses and feels the amputated limb... Let's use the hand (or arm perhaps?) for example. Once the hand is amputated and the nerves are gone the nerves from the face, which correspond to the section on the surface of the brain next to the hands, "take over" the vacant space in the hand sensation center in the brain. Thus, as you feel you have a face, you also feel you have the hand. In a little research done, an ice cube was moved on the face of a man with an amputated arm, and he felt the coldness sensation in his phantom arm.

Also, the status of the phantom limb will depend on your body image and what your brain expects of the limb... in cases where the limb was paralyzed for a significant period of time before amputation, the limb is also immobile. This can be relieved through illusionary visual feedback producing the illusion of the phantom limb using a mirror image of the other limb. The person is told to try to move the phantom limb in mirror-image movements of the movement of their other limb, and from the visual feedback of the phantom limb moving as they command it to, it regains mobility.

As obvious from this, a large part of the phantom limb is from body image, what your brain is trained (or innately) to expect of your body. In a woman who was born with no arms, her whole life she had phantom arms which were mobile. I believ it was this particular case where the patient could "stretch" her phantom limbs to all different lengths... but I am not positive on that one.

On another note pertaining to this.... the foot and the genitals are next to eachother on these sensory centers of the brain. So if you're going to get something amputated, get your foot amputated. It has been reported that orgasms are twice as intense, since they are also simultaneously experienced in the phantom foot.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Liz, on the last sentence - is there proof?

:D

________

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
- Lewis Carrol created the words "Burbled" and "Galumph" in his nonsense poem The Jabberwocky

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
-Wes, is evil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store