Dividing up a sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
In2Deep....My skimmer is located in the inlet part of the sump. There are two water levels in the sump, the inlet area is a higher water level than that of the fuge and return ( fuge and return are of the same water height ). The main reason the inlet has a higher water level is to ensure that i keep a good ammount of water down there taking into account that i needed to compensate the water displacement of the skimmer..

The water levels make no difference to what evap your going to get. the only way you can minimise any evap is not to store equipment in there. The main evap comes from having the return pump in the sump, skimmers etc etc in the sump...

Hope this helps

Niko

GatorDrew

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
Thank you so much for the sketch! That helps me out tremendously!

Just curious, I'm guessing you could put some sort of "platform" underneath the protein skimmer if it needs to be raised, etc.

Also, I'm guessing that the baffles between the fuge and return is a bubble trap?

GatorDrew

AC Members
Apr 19, 2006
Alright, I modified it a bit as I need to make it about 30". This is the opening for the stand. Obviously, there is more room beneath the tank... but if it can't get past the doors, what good would it be? LOL.

I basically shortened the fuge area. I still think it's big enough.

Thoughts?

nikko_modified.jpg

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Get rid of the bio-balls they will only lead to trouble. Also puting media in the intake may not be such a great idea, media is generally a passive item meaning that water should flow around it and not be forced thru which is what is going to happen in your intake section.

Also you don't want your skimmer in the return section, first of all because there will be less for it to skimm out of the water as your fuge will suck up a lot of the nutrients, second of all the higher the nutrients the more the macros will grow and they will be hard to manage. I would also move your heater, your water level in the return section will change the most due to evaporation, leaving part of your heater exposed and greatly shortining it's useable life-span.

You could also lenghten all your baffels to have more water volume, just drill a hole in your return tube right below the water line so that it breaks syphon if the power goes out.

Lastly the amount of space under your center baffel should be one inch not a half.

Any questions let us know!!

Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store