DIY 3D background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FINJOY

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
HI, IM JUST WONDERING WHEN PLACING THE FOAM IN THE WATER DOES THE CEMENT PAINT SEAL AND PROTECT THE FOAM FROM FALLING APART AND MAKING IT FISH FRIENDLY WITH NO ILL EFFECTS TO THE FISH? OR ARE YOU USING A SPECIAL TYPE OF FOAM. IM ASKING BECAUSE I'VE SEEN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FOAM GETS WET IT BECOME A STICKY GLOB... THANKS...FOR ANY INFO...

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
waltmark -- the are some videos on youtube, step by step.

I'll get some photos up in a minute. Trying to get my son down for the night and then I;ll get the photos up and get back to work on it.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
HI, IM JUST WONDERING WHEN PLACING THE FOAM IN THE WATER DOES THE CEMENT PAINT SEAL AND PROTECT THE FOAM FROM FALLING APART AND MAKING IT FISH FRIENDLY WITH NO ILL EFFECTS TO THE FISH? OR ARE YOU USING A SPECIAL TYPE OF FOAM. IM ASKING BECAUSE I'VE SEEN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN FOAM GETS WET IT BECOME A STICKY GLOB... THANKS...FOR ANY INFO...
The cement paint is suppose to seal it from the water. No special foam used, just the type you can get at Lowe's. You just need to make sure you cover it good with the paint, I'm going to use 2-4 layers.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
Finally almost done. I ran out of sillicon to do my last 4 pieces, they are attach to each other just not to the main piece. I am either going to have to trim or cut the piece to get into the tank. I'll decide that later.

1st photo -- just two pieces together with rock on top for some weight
2nd photo -- I used my finger to smooth the silicon into all cracks
3rd photo -- some more pieces together
4th photo -- The main piece, just 4 more to add (will be 16in high)
5th photo -- here is what the complete product will look like when I get more silicon, hopefully I get can some tomorrow.

SANY0364.JPG SANY0366.JPG SANY0367.JPG SANY0368.JPG SANY0369.JPG

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
Ok, got more silicon and finished piecing them together.

1st photo -- the main piece
2nd photo -- a possible pot like thing, don't know if I'll use it
3rd photo -- another of the pot thing
4th photo -- this is on the main piece, I'm hoping it'll hold some of the sand so I can place a carpet like plant in it. It's near the top, prob. about 6in to 4in from the light.

SANY0372.JPG SANY0370.JPG SANY0371.JPG SANY0373.JPG

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
ok, more photos

1st photo -- first layer of paint on tank
2nd photo -- a new edging for a possible pot, I like it better and will toss the other out
3rd photo -- another pic of the edging
4th photo -- possible area to place the pot, it'll sit above the sand, and then be filled up with the sand
5th photo -- another edging up higher on the main piece (not silicon in just thinking how it may look) could place it on the sand too and make a smaller pot.
6th photo -- the two edgings, or I can combine the two and make one pot.

what to do...

As soon as the paint dries on the tank, I'll going to start marking out the area I'll need to cut for the filter and heater. And silicon up the cracks. I'll also prob. go ahead and cut the piece though the middle, or trim it so I can get it in the tank.

SANY0374.JPG SANY0376.JPG SANY0375.JPG SANY0377.JPG SANY0378.JPG SANY0379.JPG

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
Done the cutting for the heater/filter, and cut the main piece in half so I could get it in the tank, now let it sit over night, and hopefully put the first layer of concrete paint over it. Also got the back done, two layers covered it good.

May still need to trim some for the filter and heater area.

SANY0380.JPG SANY0381.JPG

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
That is looking GREAT! Thanks for starting this build thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store