DIY CO2 made easy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Couldn't we just add the warm water & yeast to the peeps? If my calculations are correct - 1peep=16g sugar, 200g sugar per cup, divided = 12.5 peeps per cup or 25 for 2 cups. We can chop them up to give more surface for the yeast. And to fit them in the bottle. :)
Or how about gummy worms? HMMN, lots of possibilities...
On a more serious note - Doesn't the Jello melt when you add the hot water & wouldn't that negate putting it in the fridge?

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Couldn't we just add the warm water & yeast to the peeps? If my calculations are correct - 1peep=16g sugar, 200g sugar per cup, divided = 12.5 peeps per cup or 25 for 2 cups. We can chop them up to give more surface for the yeast. And to fit them in the bottle. :)
Or how about gummy worms? HMMN, lots of possibilities...
:grinyes: Peeps! You kid but you could use peeps if you wanted to ;) Peeps would slowly break down so they would work.

On a more serious note - Doesn't the Jello melt when you add the hot water & wouldn't that negate putting it in the fridge?
Nah the JELL-O won't melt down completely. The recipe calls for activating the yeast in warm water, NOT hot or boiling hot water. And as far as putting it in the fridge, that's just to get the JELL-O to set initially (according to the instructions on the JELL-O box). Once the JELL-O is set in the bottle you can pour warm water over it & it'll maintain it's consistency & start breaking down slowly over time & steadily provide sugar to the yeast, sort of how a medicine or vitamin capsule works when you swallow one.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
how many bubbles should i see in a hour to know i got the right amount ?

great thread you got there love the DIY CO2

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
HI

I made this C02 Rig little over 3 weeks ago and its still pumping out C02 strong , getting 1 bubble in my counter every 2-3 sec so i think is great for my 30 gal tank

I well let you know when it stops , I already have a new bottle made up and waiting

Thanks for this thread

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Moreno Valley, California
Real Name
Kristina
I'll have to try this method also. I just do the basic and it does fizzle out after a couple of weeks. Just a question though. I read somewhere or maybe I saw it on a youtube video, that you should only use warm water to activate yeast. Using hot water actually kills off the yeast. Is this true?

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Yes, it is true. Yeast is a living organism, so too much heat will kill it, just like any other living thing. My home ec. teacher said to run the tap water as hot as you could get it, but still be able to hold your hand under the faucet, since it will cool down several degrees as soon as it's out of the faucet.

Sounds like a great recipe, I'm going to try it as soon as I find some CO2 tubing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store