DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I wasn't aware that baking soda could be used...what advantage does it have? Also the recipe you gave, would that be sufficient for my 54L tank? And as you probably guessed I wouldn't have a clue on your recipe failures due to my lack of experience...
This formula is for a 55 gal so I am sure you can use it. I use two 2 liter bottles and the Hagen Ladder system for 20gal tanks.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Speaking of that, and this is a dumb question but I'm sorta curious: has anybody drank this stuff after it's done? You know, filter the liquid out, and then taste? :silly:

LOL I remember my first setup and opening the cap after it had expired and I was thinking to myself WOW this smells like BEER.. But no I dare not attempt to drink this crap.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I have a recipe that lasts over a month that you should try. I should warn you though that it may create too much Co2. Even though I have a 29 gallon instead of a 55 so it may work for you.

The recipe is a follows:

You will need a funnel for this because everything needs to be put in at exact proportions.

Add sugar first then water and only fill to where the neck of the bottle starts because you may have foam.

Attaching the silicone tubing to the cap:

Cut the end of the tubing at an angle so that it is thin enough to squeeze through a pre-drilled whole in the cap. Then use pliers and pull it through, the friction will make the connection airtight. DO NOT use to small of a hole.

2 liter soda bottle ( run hot water through it) 1 big glass of water 1:30 in 900 watt micro wave

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon yeast (level) ( no more other wise you will start to fast and lose potential time you may have with the Co2 wasted.

Close the cap and shake for 30 seconds, wait another 30 seconds, you want to make sure that all solids have dissolved otherwise you will have an incomplete reaction.

Leave it for 10 minutes to gas off and then hook up to the tank.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note experimental recipe went out of control so use with caution.

For this recipe follow all directions above except adding one table spoon of blood orange juice. After 3 weeks add 1 level tablespoon of baking soda to keep the acidity in check. Do not add more as I have found this to choke out the solution rendering it useless.

I had to tear down this experimental recipe because of the fact that I was experiencing more than a couple bubbles a second, as well as the tank water reached PH 6.4. Maybe for a 100-120 gallon tank this would work but for a 29 gallon it was a disaster.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if if anyone decides to try the second recipe on a 100-120 gallon tank so that I can get the results. I really feel confident that it would work.

I have tried other fruit but for some reason blood orange juice drives this mixture crazy.

Also forgot to mention wait 1-3 days depending on the temperature for the generator to start producing.

You will notice the bottle decompressing a little on the first day as the yeast uses up all available oxygen so make sure you have 2 feet of tubing between the tank and generator. ( Keep generator higher than water level to prevent back flow.)

Make sure that the generator is hook up at all times during the first week because the introduction of new oxygen during the aging process will mess up the solution. You will get significantly less Co2 if it is disturbed during this period.

Last edited:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Now I went to re-do one because it has expired and I am not getting anything. First attempt= no bubbles, Second attempt=no bubbles...Third time I threw the airline, airstone, and 2 little bottle away and started over. 3rd Attempt=NOTHING.

Why now am I not getting anything, same formula as I have always used, now something isnt right....

Could my Baking Soda be bad? I bought a different brand of yeast after the second attempt, still nothing on the third. WHAT GIVES.
To me...this sounds as if you have a leak somewhere.

connor_09

AC Members
Aug 1, 2010
UK
Would anyone run me through their process of their recipe? Including times, measurements, temp of water and added extras such as lemon juice or orange juice and baking soda?? I have a 54L and am finding it hard to find someone with a recipe for this sized tank so I'd love some help if possible?

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
To me...this sounds as if you have a leak somewhere.
Yeap thats what I thought as well. So I added more silicone to the top of the cap. Waited 24hrs, nothing. So I threw that whole setup away and started over. Still nothing. Like I said I have done this sucessfully 4 or 5 times already with NO PROBLEMS and now for some reason it isnt working anymore.

What I am mixing my sugar, yeast, and baking soda (to get it dissolved) should I use cold water or Hot water?

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Would anyone run me through their process of their recipe? Including times, measurements, temp of water and added extras such as lemon juice or orange juice and baking soda?? I have a 54L and am finding it hard to find someone with a recipe for this sized tank so I'd love some help if possible?
You know what I would do in your situation, SINCE this is your first time..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hagen-CO2-Natur...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab110e62

Works up to a 20 gal

Also the one I suggested is just FINE for a 14gal

connor_09

AC Members
Aug 1, 2010
UK
I have all the equipment ready to be set up for a DIY system, thats not the problem its the recipe I'm worried about...

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
What I am mixing my sugar, yeast, and baking soda (to get it dissolved) should I use cold water or Hot water?
To activate the yeast (AFAIK) it takes a set temp, around 105 degrees. After that I've read variations as far as the rest of the water; but you need to make sure it's not too hot because it can still kill the yeast. I think warm water is the way to go for the main mixture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store