DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Did you see a difference in growth? Do small fish get stuck?
I only see a different on the plant on the left only...
Stuck? No.

correct because that is the side where it is concentrated at. Water Sprites really love Co2, in any amounts. It went from a mid-level plant to reaching the top of my tank in 1 week. You might not see this type of result say with Vals, or Anubias or otheres. But with sprites they LOVE IT.

connor_09

AC Members
Aug 1, 2010
UK
So today I started my DIY CO2 system, just done the generator and separator so far but all seems to be going well, just gonna wait for the silicone to set before I get on with the rest of it...

as you can see I've cable tied the bottle together, and silicon both top and bottom of the lids where the tubing enters and exits, I also slotted my tubing through the biro pen in my separator and siliconed all possible gaps (even though it was an extremely tight squeeze) oh and has inserted a check valve.

Can't wait to start producing some CO2!

IMG_0102.jpg

fastlight81

AC Members
May 22, 2010
connor, I see the check valve between the two bottles, which is good(not necessary imo), but make sure you place a check valve between the tank and your co2 bubble counter/seperator

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Looks good Connor, only concern I have is the gas separator - the longer hose has to be underwater... I'd have pushed the tube down to the bottom so that the bottle didn't have to be filled more than halfway. Less chance for yeasty water to get into your 2nd tube... It would help to trim the 2nd hose closer to the cap (allow 1/4" of line to stick in).

You'll have to remove the zip tie when you change your co2 batch, or things'll be pretty awkward.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Now I'm wondering though if I'm going for too much yeast. Hmmm.
James has got it. More yeast = lots of co2 reaction right off the bat, but they will consume the sugar faster & then die off.

Less yeast allows for a slower yet longer yield of co2. Bread bakers use less yeast which allows a long rise (co2!) time to make flavorful bread.

There is also the issue of sugar alcohols which affects the yeast, but I think that becomes an issue more with the jell-o method (where the alcohol sits above the layer of food/jell-o).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store