DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I've never used metal (never seen em)... Not sure why they'd degrade, either. Hopefully someone else can provide insight.

biglou26

Registered Member
Aug 3, 2010
dont use a regular airstone. The c02 will start breaking it up, and you'll see bits of it floating everywhere. Get diffuser sticks, or a small diffuser off ebay (looks like a shot glass with a tea cup handle)

froggsong

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
From what I've read, when doing DIY CO2, you shouldn't use metal fittings because the carbonic acid will cause them to deteriorate.

connor_09

AC Members
Aug 1, 2010
UK
connor, I see the check valve between the two bottles, which is good(not necessary imo), but make sure you place a check valve between the tank and your co2 bubble counter/seperator

Looks good Connor, only concern I have is the gas separator - the longer hose has to be underwater... I'd have pushed the tube down to the bottom so that the bottle didn't have to be filled more than halfway. Less chance for yeasty water to get into your 2nd tube... It would help to trim the 2nd hose closer to the cap (allow 1/4" of line to stick in).

You'll have to remove the zip tie when you change your co2 batch, or things'll be pretty awkward.
Thanks guys, I've modified a little this morning, got rid of the cable ties replace with string, also lengthened the tube as you said, also took out the unnecessary check valve, although I did have one between the tank and separator already. I will have some pictures up before long guys, hopefully get some more advice!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
co2 bottles are made of aluminum and fittings are made of brass... and they last a very long time. my dad's beer meister was over 15 yrs old when he took it down. the ones at the catering hall i used to run were much older than that. the tank and fittings for my old paintball gun also lasted over 8 yrs before i sold it all and much of it was bought used.

connor_09

AC Members
Aug 1, 2010
UK
Right here we go, got it all hooked up hopefully all air tight and producing CO2, only worrying thing is whether my recipe is producing anything, as you can see in the picture its not bubbling or foaming, does anybody know how long it takes to start producing CO2 I wasn't expecting it immediately but just out of interest should it be foaming?

In the first picture you can see the generator and separator (took them out of the box for all to see) and in picture two you can see my check valve and tubing running to my diffuser in the tank.

IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0106.jpg

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
oki doke well I guess I just sit and wait patiently then...
After a while, with my bottle still attached, I shook it some and it fizzed like soda and produced some bubbles. Then that stopped. This was before it started going steady. So you could try that to get an indication that stuff is happening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store