DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Kewlness!

I'm glad to hear about using it on larger tanks. I've steered clear of it for those same reasons. Have to hook up a couple bottles now and see what I get. ;o)

don't recon you could snap a pic and post it up to have a looksie can ya?

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
Kewlness!

I'm glad to hear about using it on larger tanks. I've steered clear of it for those same reasons. Have to hook up a couple bottles now and see what I get. ;o)

don't recon you could snap a pic and post it up to have a looksie can ya?
Absolutely. Though most of it is not looking like much right now, I'll be glad to do it in the interest of documenting this mess. ;) I just have to wait another hour or so for the lights to come back on (I'm running my lights with a mid-day blackout right now.)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Picture says 1000 words. In the cap of your generator bottle....cut the tubing so that only about 1/4" is in the cap.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
Backing up a bit to the yeast stuff.....do most folks use the same proportions you used? Are there variations? Are there benefits to one or the other? Also, what I happen to have on hand is Brewers Yeast (like from the health food store). Will that work?

After you mix it up how long does it take to be "ripe?" Right away? a week?

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I've read somewhere that any kind of yeast will work. I also remember reading somewhere that some kind of brewer's yeast was preferred to baking stuff. So I think you're okay there if it isn't too old.

I have seen many, many different recipes. The amount varies I think from 1/4 teaspoon maybe up to a full teaspoon. I think the more yeast the more CO2 you get, but it also goes more quickly and you have to change it more often and it's also harder to keep the amount steady. But somebody with actual experience could probably speak to that a lot better than I can.

I cut the tube going into the bottle so it's much shorter inside there. Then I shook some more, and more noticeable bubbles came out for a longer period of time. Now i'm back to being unable to tell how much is coming out.

I think I really need to put one of those upside down clear container things in there so I can see how much gas gets in there.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Water temperature plays a big part with activating yeast... Too cool and they either never wake up or are very slow to get going. Too warm and they die. I think the desired temp for blooming yeast was 100-110? Just warm to the touch.

Adding less yeast (1/4 teaspoon per 2 cup sugar, 2 cup water) allows a longer discharge of co2. Larger amounts (1/2-1 tsp) and the yeast go crazy, have a huge party, but won't last very long. I used the lesser yeast method in my diy. I had 1-2bps pretty steadily for 10-12 days. This was on a 5 & 10 gallon tank.

For the 55 I'm thinking at least 3-4 2L bottles to be effective. Also, a warning about airstones... Co2 will breakdown the stone. I like using a piece of bamboo chopstick - the gas passes thru the bamboo fibers and the bubbles are very fine. If you want to splurge, a ceramic diffuser can be used with diy co2.

And I don't see a secondary water chamber on your diy setup. By running your line into a second smaller bottle half-filled with water, so the gas bubbles thru the water and then setup another hole/tube in that cap leading to the tank (w/your check valve). This will remove yeast spores from the co2 to help reduce "gunk" aka yeast buildup on your airstone.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
You know what we need here? We need a white board! First we had the bottle and tube. Then we had the bottle, tube and check valve. Added suction cups. Then cut the tube to 1/4" Now we need a secondary water chamber. I'd love to see this conversation in stick-figure form. With little Rube Goldberg dotted lines and arrows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store