DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
For the 55 I'm thinking at least 3-4 2L bottles to be effective. Also, a warning about airstones... Co2 will breakdown the stone. I like using a piece of bamboo chopstick - the gas passes thru the bamboo fibers and the bubbles are very fine. If you want to splurge, a ceramic diffuser can be used with diy co2.

How quickly does the co2 break down an airstone?
How on earth do you use a bamboo chopstick -- Do you use the whole thing or cut it short? Do you jam it in the end of the tube?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
LOL! You break off a 1-inch piece. I've used pliers, which is way easier than trying to saw it with a Leatherman pocket saw. The tip is naturally tapered, perfect for ibsertion, but I have also whittled down pieces so I could use the rest of the chopstick to avoid waste.

Not sure how long the breakdown takes... But the stone will get brittle and crumbly. Maybe change 'em once a month?

The hard part, is that airstone bubbles are just too coarse for dissolving the co2 into the water.

I had the best results when I stuck the co2 line into my HOB uptake tube. Cut out a small notch in the basket abd voilà! Chops up those bubbles - which made visibility a touch misty (noticed this after I quit the co2, water was so clear!), but that means it's working!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I cannot say enough about the importance of a secondary water bottle to remove yeast spores, before your co2 goes into the tank!!

Also, there is LOTS of info online re: diagrams for this method including the secondary bottle... Surely even on this site!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If you can get the 3 liter Coke bottles, they work much better for larger tanks. Two of them should be enough.

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
ok, sillly question, but

do you use the bamboo chopstick / airstone AND put the line in the HOB uptake tube, or just put the bare line in the HOB uptake tube?

and regarding yeast gunk....I have visions of unwanted tank pollution that can cause troubles. Obviously one would make an effort to avoid the troubles, but in case one ran into troubles, of what sort would they be? ammonia spikes? algae blooms? fuzzy waterline?

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
thanks for all of the advice guys. Yes, I definitely have plans to setup the secondary bottle. I put that in my list of upcoming plans (gas separator). I just don't have the right kind of bottle. Well I probably do, but I want a thicker plastic than the one I have.

I haven't had a 3 liter soda bottle in years. Maybe I'll do two of those as part of my next step.

re: the airstone, the ones I bought are fine, and release smaller bubbles than the regular ones. And they're supposedly disposable, got six in the pack. but the main plan for them is that they get sucked into the intake of the filter, for now. That won't be for long either, because i'm going to get an inverted clear... thing... as a diffusion bell.

I just got a bunch of plants (thanks Jerzguy!) and I think I really need to make the improvements ASAP.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
The thing about a "diffusion bell", is that you need to empty it to get rid if the "leftover" gases and then let the co2 bubble in again. IMO a powerhead co2 reactor would be much more effective!

You can use the airstone/chopstick and position it under your uptake tube... The small bubbles will be chopped even smaller by the hob's impeller.

Dunno how badly yeast fungus can affect the tank... But my endlers loved munching on it! Yeast fungus will clog up your co2 line, also.

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
The thing about a "diffusion bell", is that you need to empty it to get rid if the "leftover" gases and then let the co2 bubble in again. IMO a powerhead co2 reactor would be much more effective!

You can use the airstone/chopstick and position it under your uptake tube... The small bubbles will be chopped even smaller by the hob's impeller.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about having to empty the diffusion bell. How often woiuld i have to do that?

the powerhead co2 reactor would certainly (by any account i can find) be more effective. But it'd also mean buying a powerhead and building something more complicated. To me that sort of defeats some of the purpose of doing this DIY. Still, i may or may not go that route eventually. It'd either be that as a future step, or buying a pressurized system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store