Do you have a big tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
72x18x24 125g

Waiting to set it up as a salt tank. I will complete my objective of breeding salt fish

On a side note I tried to obtain this tank last night on a trade because it said it was a 175g tank. I realized I jumped the gun majorly after messaging him because I would have no place to put it but was still going to go through with it. Then I got a closer look at the pics and asked for the dimensions. It was your basic 55g tank LMAO! I'm like 'yeah.... No already got 2 of those'

Still want a 75g in place of my 55g angel tank. I like the depth (front to back depth) they have

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I feel stupid setting up a 75 gallon saltwater and thinking it is big...

It's not the size that matters, it's what you have in it, and how well maintained it is

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Size does matter for stability...the larger the more forgiving on maintenance.....

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Size does matter for stability...the larger the more forgiving on maintenance.....
And the larger the volume, the more diluted toxins are in the water, therefore smaller tanks are more unforgiving.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
72x18x24 125g

Waiting to set it up as a salt tank. I will complete my objective of breeding salt fish

On a side note I tried to obtain this tank last night on a trade because it said it was a 175g tank. I realized I jumped the gun majorly after messaging him because I would have no place to put it but was still going to go through with it. Then I got a closer look at the pics and asked for the dimensions. It was your basic 55g tank LMAO! I'm like 'yeah.... No already got 2 of those'

Still want a 75g in place of my 55g angel tank. I like the depth (front to back depth) they have
That's awesome, good luck with the breeding! And yeah, front to back depth I find pretty useful, not especially keen on really narrow ones.

I feel stupid setting up a 75 gallon saltwater and thinking it is big...

It's not the size that matters, it's what you have in it, and how well maintained it is

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Definitely, and that's why I don't much like ridiculously large tanks because although the size is impressive, the interior and stock often isn't. It's all about what YOU think is 'big'. Having always dealt with small tanks myself, it would be a step up and much more challenging to go to anything above 50 gallons, but as I've already discovered from this thread, much larger tanks are common and the norm for a lot of people.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Well I don't think I would ever want to go higher than my 125g (unless I get a great deal like the trade I thought I had last night) because huge fish don't really much for me. There are a few fish that break 6 inches that I really like but I'm much more happy with a tank stocked more with smaller colorful fish. I haven't done much research into my salt tank yet (because I have to get the equipment and that's gonna take a while) but I don't see myself only putting a few very large fish in it. In my eyes I see it stocked with fish from 3-6 inches and a lot of movement.

So what I'm getting at is bigger isn't the best for me because I have a higher affinity toward smaller fish which also leaves me with the opportunity to have more of them. it seems we have the same opinion about it too because you said huge tanks with huge stock don't often impress.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
Well I don't think I would ever want to go higher than my 125g (unless I get a great deal like the trade I thought I had last night) because huge fish don't really much for me. There are a few fish that break 6 inches that I really like but I'm much more happy with a tank stocked more with smaller colorful fish. I haven't done much research into my salt tank yet (because I have to get the equipment and that's gonna take a while) but I don't see myself only putting a few very large fish in it. In my eyes I see it stocked with fish from 3-6 inches and a lot of movement.

So what I'm getting at is bigger isn't the best for me because I have a higher affinity toward smaller fish which also leaves me with the opportunity to have more of them. it seems we have the same opinion about it too because you said huge tanks with huge stock don't often impress.
I totally agree! If I had a choice between stocking a big tank with a few big fish, or stocking a big tank with several schools of small fish, I'd go for the small fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store