Does this guppy look like a platy/guppy mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
It is possible that the female guppy was with mollies at some point, as well.
That'll be it then. Actually, I think it's quite a handsome fish, likely to be more tolerant of a wider range of water conditions than a regular molly, but longer lived than the ephemeral guppy. Very Poecilia sphenops, but with guppy colouration. Puts me a bit in mind of various limias as well.

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
That'll be it then. Actually, I think it's quite a handsome fish, likely to be more tolerant of a wider range of water conditions than a regular molly, but longer lived than the ephemeral guppy. Very Poecilia sphenops, but with guppy colouration. Puts me a bit in mind of various limias as well.
I also think it looks a lot like a limia.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
:werd:

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I definitely have never had any limias in any tank. The female guppy that gave birth to this guy was with mollies (no male guppies)for a while (a few months) and then I moved her to another tank where she was with a male platy for a couple months (no male guppies). She gave birth twice with only 1 or 2 babies each time. There may have been a couple more fry who were eaten but the tank only had 2 female guppies and a platy so not much time for three fish to eat 50 babies or something without me noticing them. She died after the second birth. Now I have this strange jouvenile and 2 more that are a little younger and smaller. All are males and none have the long fins and tales that all her previouds male babies have had. I can't tell yet if the two younger one are going to have a blocky build like the male I posted the photo of.

Kelcifer

Registered Member
Dec 31, 2008
i had two female guppies that were half balloon molly. they were given to me by a random petstore guy when i went in to by guppy feed. i always kept them separate from my other "pure" bred guppies. they looked really deformed but they were happy and fat/round with short tails. they lived three years then died. they were mostly black with neon green spots on their tails. neat fish but i deffinately dont want a tank full of them.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Here is another photo. I looked through old photos and realized that the female guppy (mother) had definitely been with both black and cremesicle mollies in the past. This male is developing strong verticle stripes but they are hard to capture in a photo. I also looked at one of my old threads from when this fish was a newborn, and I was asking why some fry are larger than others and even swim differently than the others in the same drop. Guess I know now!!!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Don't know why the photo didn't post. Trying again

christmas 2008 006.JPG

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
definately male, definately interesting.. It's a molly with guppy coloration.. Patent it and be a millionaire..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store