Does this sound like a good setup for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Oh, I wanted to clarify-Bettas tend to have a a problem with fancy guppies because they like to chew off their tails.
But I didn't say I wanted to keep him with a fancy guppy. I heard that they didn't like fish that could be confused as other Bettas.

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Fish at the pet store generally are not full grown, even in the tank displays. I haven't seen a pacu above 10'' in a petstore, and they grow to 25''+(usually +).
I just looked it up and it says that they stay pretty small. Unless the sites I went to were all wrong. It says the biggest they can get is 3.5, but I doubt it would get that big, even, if it was in that tank. And even if it did, that's not that big.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Glad we got that cleared up :).

Here are a few quotes from the first page of google about knight gobies:

"Anyway, my problem is, he keeps eating the majority of his tank mates. He seems to enjoy the company of the clown loaches, but he's eaten all my neon tetras, danios and all but one white cloud. The rasboras and the clown pleco are apparently too big for him to eat, so he doesn't bother them much. He even ate the fins off a sailfin molly, and eventually killed it. No one around here will take the goby, not that I really want to get rid of him anyway, because he is very beautiful. What other fish can I put in with him?"
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishsubwebindex/knightgobyfaqs.htm

"Territorial by nature, the aquarium should have plenty of places to to hide such as caves, driftwood and plants. They will defend their space......While not an active predator, the knight goby will eat smaller fish in the aquarium, being shy you would not want to keep them with overly aggressive species like the larger cichlids"
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile98.html

Also, the caresheets alter from "They do best in freshwater!" to "they do best in BW!". Probably they do best in low-end brackish. Again, the brackish people would know better than I, lol.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I just looked it up and it says that they stay pretty small. Unless the sites I went to were all wrong. It says the biggest they can get is 3.5, but I doubt it would get that big, even, if it was in that tank. And even if it did, that's not that big.
Fish do not grow to the size of their tank; that's an old wives' tale. Gobies are active fish, and an active 3.5" fish is not OK in a 10 gallon tank. Bettas and gouramis that size do fine in small quarters because they are inactive fish and don't slam headfirst into the glass or get stressed out because they are cramped.

So- nix on the goby. Mollies are fine tankmates for your betta (though you may end up with more fry than your betta can eat), as are small short-finned tetras and cories. An apple or mystery snail might be all right too.

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Glad we got that cleared up :).

Here are a few quotes from the first page of google about knight gobies:

"Anyway, my problem is, he keeps eating the majority of his tank mates. He seems to enjoy the company of the clown loaches, but he's eaten all my neon tetras, danios and all but one white cloud. The rasboras and the clown pleco are apparently too big for him to eat, so he doesn't bother them much. He even ate the fins off a sailfin molly, and eventually killed it. No one around here will take the goby, not that I really want to get rid of him anyway, because he is very beautiful. What other fish can I put in with him?"
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishsubwebindex/knightgobyfaqs.htm

"Territorial by nature, the aquarium should have plenty of places to to hide such as caves, driftwood and plants. They will defend their space......While not an active predator, the knight goby will eat smaller fish in the aquarium, being shy you would not want to keep them with overly aggressive species like the larger cichlids"
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile98.html

Also, the caresheets alter from "They do best in freshwater!" to "they do best in BW!". Probably they do best in low-end brackish. Again, the brackish people would know better than I, lol.
Holy crizap!

Yeah, that sounds like too much work. I was already worrying about having to buy him bloodworms or shrimp to feed him when i just have to feed everyone else flakes. I don't want my fishies being bullied.

Thanks for doing that research for me! It saved me a lot of heartache! I wish they would just stay that cute little tiny size!

So cute...seriously.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Hey Lindz- are you in the US? If you like the look and behavior of gobies you might like darters as well. They're fairly readily available online in the US. They're not suitable for your betta tank (they can't take the heat), but you should keep them in mind if you decide to set up another small tank.

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Fish do not grow to the size of their tank; that's an old wives' tale. Gobies are active fish, and an active 3.5" fish is not OK in a 10 gallon tank. Bettas and gouramis that size do fine in small quarters because they are inactive fish and don't slam headfirst into the glass or get stressed out because they are cramped.

So- nix on the goby. Mollies are fine tankmates for your betta (though you may end up with more fry than your betta can eat), as are small short-finned tetras and cories. An apple or mystery snail might be all right too.
Is there anyway I can just get male mollies? Or female ones? That's probably impossible, though, right?

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Hey Lindz- are you in the US? If you like the look and behavior of gobies you might like darters as well. They're fairly readily available online in the US. They're not suitable for your betta tank (they can't take the heat), but you should keep them in mind if you decide to set up another small tank.
Thanks! They are really cute!

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store