Does this sound like a good setup for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

romeo_o

Registered Member
Mar 29, 2008
San Jose, CA
Lindz,
I would not keep my male betta together with other fish in a 10 gal. First, other fish might nip on it's tails (no more crown of half moon to admire. LOL). Why not separate you beta on a small container (one or 2 gal. alone) so you can admire it's color, fins, etc and control it's diet. On bigger tank, it tends to hide and might will not eat at all(other fishes will grabs it's food). Bigger tank which I use for female betta to grow until I pair them for breeding. Or get a betta tank divider or appartment where you can put up to 4 male betta. If you want other fishes, start a community tank separately. Most of the time, Male betta do not do good in community tanks. They tend to hide or stay on one corner.

Just my opinnion.

Kets

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
Fish do not grow to the size of their tank; that's an old wives' tale. Gobies are active fish, and an active 3.5" fish is not OK in a 10 gallon tank. Bettas and gouramis that size do fine in small quarters because they are inactive fish and don't slam headfirst into the glass or get stressed out because they are cramped.

So- nix on the goby. Mollies are fine tankmates for your betta (though you may end up with more fry than your betta can eat), as are small short-finned tetras and cories. An apple or mystery snail might be all right too.
I disagree on this. Bettas and mollies shouldnt be together. Mollies prefer hard water while bettas perfer soft waters.

I do agree on, however, the suggestion of cories and tetras.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
We have plenty, plenty of people here who keep male bettas in community tanks . The fact that they don't do well is a myth. As long as the tank is understocked and the betta has the right temperament, they actually thrive a lot more than in a small tank. Even if the betta is territorial, they benefit extremely from the space. Bettas do not come from small puddles in the ground, they come from rice paddies, a rather large, though shallow, ecosystem, and they have been bred in captivity for many generations. While they can survive and thrive in small containers, these are intelligent animals and most of the members here prefer to give them space.

Karl, my water is in the 7.6 range, I've had bettas live 4-5 years.Then again, those were veiltailed and plakats.

Last edited:

lindz

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
We have plenty, plenty of people here who keep male bettas in community tanks . The fact that they don't do well is a myth. As long as the tank is understocked and the betta has the right temperament, they actually thrive a lot more than in a small tank. Even if the betta is territorial, they benefit extremely from the space. Bettas do not come from small puddles in the ground, they come from rice paddies, a rather large, though shallow, ecosystem, and they have been bred in captivity for many generations. While they can survive and thrive in small containers, these are intelligent animals and most of the members here prefer to give them space.

Karl, my water is in the 7.6 range, I've had bettas live 4-5 years.Then again, those were veiltailed and plakats.
Oh...good. I was really worried. Still kind of am. Especially about the food stuff. My female betta has a problem with that in the 30 gallon. She actually just eats the tetra's food...stupid betta.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I kept a male Betta with a school of 8 Neon Tetras and several Amano Shrimp in a 10g planted tank for years without issue. Just a thought.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Lindz,
I would not keep my male betta together with other fish in a 10 gal. First, other fish might nip on it's tails (no more crown of half moon to admire. LOL). Why not separate you beta on a small container (one or 2 gal. alone) so you can admire it's color, fins, etc and control it's diet. On bigger tank, it tends to hide and might will not eat at all(other fishes will grabs it's food). Bigger tank which I use for female betta to grow until I pair them for breeding. Or get a betta tank divider or appartment where you can put up to 4 male betta. If you want other fishes, start a community tank separately. Most of the time, Male betta do not do good in community tanks. They tend to hide or stay on one corner.

Just my opinnion.
Oh NO NO NO NO!!!! :eek:

In my experience the bigger the tank the livelier the betta. Mine utilizes every square inch of a 55 gallon tank. He loves to shoot across the length of the tank in the current from the filter and plays in the bubble wall. The difference in his behavior from when he was in the 8 gallon isolation tank was phenomenal.

He shows only a mild curiosity about the other fish, never attacking them, but because he is out and about so much it tends to draw the other fish out more. So now I see more of all of them.

The only issues I have ever had with bettas and other fish was when I tried some tiger barbs in the community tank. They went back to the store quicksmart. Just don't put anything nippy in the tank.

I just couldn't imagine putting a betta in a 2 1/2 gallon tank. It would be like solitary confinement. Just because the fish can survive that sort of thing doesn't mean we should do it.

Did you know that depression has been added to the list of fish diseases that bettas get. And funnily enough, they are very prone to it when they get 'jarred'.

Lindz is absolutely right to give her betta some space and companionship. the more the better.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Oh...good. I was really worried. Still kind of am. Especially about the food stuff. My female betta has a problem with that in the 30 gallon. She actually just eats the tetra's food...stupid betta.
I got some Wardley Betta Food which is floating balls of food. They are very hard and they float and expand and soften when they are soaked. I always soak them. The betta loves them and they don't fit into the mouths of the platies or SAEs. Perfect solution. When I feed freeze dried bloodworm they all get some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store