Dwarf Rainbow with foot and mouth disease???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Never dreamed to be praecox raibow. Perhaps due to your excellent photo taking skill. Dont recall keeping/seeing ones with orangish fins/tail.

pH of 7.9 for this type and most rainbow, I would not worry. just keep it stable.

Looking foward to more pics.

fabiobruno

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Bristol (UK)
Real Name
Fabio Bruno
I've just got a good camera :)
Actually I'm just starting experimenting with the right settings to get decent pictures of quite active fish...
Anyway the one I'm going to post now are not great because I had to use the flash in order to be able to use a macro (but slow) lens.

Here you have the first one from the left side, you can see the mouth and 3 small lumps (apologies for the big size of the photos)

DSC_2088.JPG

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
1. Possibility of Fish TB but I strongly doubt it. If you suspect TB as per your research (google images/literature on Fish TB). As not all images may represent correct symptoms, you can provide links you found in case you are not sure of your finding. Correction of water conditions & early treatment with Kanamycin (250mg/10Gallon or 38liters) yielded good results for me.

2. Most likely and hopefully benign tumors (not dangerous to fish but smore impications may take place with time). Unfortunately no known cure.

3. If sore/tumor grows large and burst (Progressive): Google Pleistophora/Microspora/Myxospora (they are all protozoan as is common Ich) for more info..
If my moemory serves, Microspora is more common. Sores are commonly knowns as ZENOMAS. An Isoalation is good approach to this possible infestations in order to minimize spreading of any protozoan infestation. YOu might want to vacuum portion of gravel on daily basis during very small (10-15%) pwc to remove any possible spores on the bottom. No kniown cure also but that does not mean you can not try your own experiemnts in Q/T. You will notice fish becoming solitary, lethargic, emaciated, color changes with time. That is If and Only IF this is protozoan infestations. Thus no action until such change is/are noticed.

You can crush metronidazole. use small amt of crushed powder & dissolve in one or two droplets of water.(1/50, 1/100, 1/500, 1/1000 of crushed metronidazole, etc. etc. but keep record of amt you used: amt should depends on fish body mass when given orally. More metro on Large cichlid than one prepared for neon tetra). Once dissolved, mix flakes. Voila! now you have home made medicated food. Use med food once you start to notice sore bursting.

That's all I can think of for now and I'll post more as my memory reveals more.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I do think this may be one of the Microsporidian parasites. There are several of these and they do cause cysts, or Xenomas, to form, and the cysts can form both internally, in the organs, and in the muscle tissue of the fish.

Here's some interesting information from The GAB (Goldfish and Aquarium Board) that one of its members, Dataguru, posted in November '05. The site he referenced in this post is not available for some reason, but this info sounds a lot like your issue.

From this link (no longer available)
http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/protozoal.htm">www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/protozoal.htm

Microsporidians (Glugea, Pleistophora)

A) Microsporidian parasites from cysts in various organs. The cysts are filled with small 1 to 2 micron spores. Parasitic cyst may induce hypertrophy of the infected cell (Glugea, Spraguea, and Ichthyosporidium) or does not cause hypertrophy of infected cells (Pleistophora).

B) Microsporidian parasites are found in numerous fresh and saltwater fish.

C) Clinically microsporidian present themselves as individual or multiple cyst which can become quite large and may give the appearance of neoplasms (xenomas). These cysts are filled with numerous refractile spores.

1) Glugea: Infect macrophages and other mesenchymal tissues which then undergo massive hypertrophy causing deformity of visceral organs (liver, gut, ovaries) as well as infections in the muscle and subcutis.

2) Pleistophora hyphessobryconis (Neon tetra disease): This microsporidian infect the sarcoplasm of muscle fibers causing these fibers to be filled with these organism. There is no inflammatory reaction around the cyst.

D) Transmission of the disease is most likely direct."

That's the pits. I agree on the formalin/malachite green in QT. Glad you have finquel on hand.

Dataguru Goldie Lover
Posts: 36877 Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:01 pm Location: Central Oklahoma

It's true that this could be Mycobacterium (Fish TB) but I'm leaning more towards parasitic.

There doesn't seem to be any inflammation at the lesion sites, which would seem to indicate bacterial infection is not the problem, though I'm just speculating here in that regards.

In this thread on The GAB, the OP lost most of her fish, but did have one or two survivors. She treated with Jungle Labs Parasite Clear and Metronidazole (in food) and thought this might have been a factor.

Are those available in the UK?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Here's the link to the discussion on The GAB:

http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2940

If this is the problem with your Rainbow, the outlook is not good: the articles I've read discussing this type of parasitic infection do not offer treatment options, and, in fact, say the condition is untreatable and focus on prevention of exposure to other fish.

I'm hoping that this is not the issue here. If you can get those two meds they may help, and may possibly help in the case of a bacterial infection.

If you can't get Parasite Clear and Metro then I would focus on pristine water, low stress conditions, isolation from other fish, and hope for the best.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Formalin and MG are for most exo treatment not endo. Also as I mentioned, Only it burst it could be protozoan and another important issue is that Formalin can be more toxic to fish once sore burst than disease itself. My recommendation, NO Formalin/Malachite Green. Just isolate for now and monitor for further development.
Should be prepared to make homemade medicated food as symptoms develop, not before.
Keep us posted.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Your seeing the comments by the OP, Dataguru, on the thread that I copied and pasted.

I didn't recommend formalin/malachite green, that was Dataguru speaking at the end of his/her post.

In my post my recommendation was Parasite Clear and Metronidazole in food, and really, I think the Metro in food is the most likely thing to help, if anything can.

The Parasite Clear has Metro, Prazi, Diflubenzuron, and Acriflavin (antibiotic), and is a treatment that is more for external parasitic infections and probably won't help, but couldn't hurt at this point.

If Fabio can get the Rainbow to eat some Metro medicated food, as I suggested in my post, I think that would be most likely to help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store