dying/dead comet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I think you can go ahead and put the platy fry into the tank if you have tested the water...

however you can also take some of the foam or sponge from the cycled 10g.. and put it into the filter on the new 10g... this will cycle it almost immediately

I am sorry for your loss... don't feel bad or let anyone's comments get to you-- you didnt know any better as many new hobbyists don't... and unfortunately many fish stores out there couldn't care less

hopefully this has been a learning experience.. and I wish you the best of luck in your future fish keeping activities

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
So, quick update. My comet went from lying at the bottom of his tank gasping for air last night, to swimming sluggishly, but normally this morning. This is great!! I am so happy he is ok, but now for the bigger question. What should I do to ensure his health?? I have an empty 40 gallon breeder upstairs, but I am having trouble finding accessories for it (stand, hood, light etc) If I can find these things that I need to set up the 40 gallon breeder for him, will that be better?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
larger tank size will definitely be better, and adding 30 gallons to his current abode is a great idea. since he is stunted i would wonder if he would ever reach full potential size, and would ever need a tank suitable for the full size of a comet.

in a pinch you could always put the tank on the floor, as long as you have some way of getting the waste and mulm off the bottom of the tank during water changes, since using a gravel vac will not be possible due to no gravity flow (the tank on a stand being higher than the bucket you are siphoning into). as for the light, unless you are having live plants, the tank wouldn't need a light. maybe put a table lamp or something beside the tank just to increase lighting to monitor the fish. for the hood, you could lay saran wrap over half or two thirds the tank, but i would not cover the whole tank, since that could 'trap' in the gasses that tend to come off the water during oxygen exchange. you could also leave the tank open topped.

be sure to transfer the same filter and any substrate that is in his current tank over to the 40 gallon, so you won't be dealing with a cycling tank and a sick fish at the same time.

ah, just thought of a good temporary stand idea: cinderblocks and plywood.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Yep, why not try it. Like BFM said, just use a temporary platform and you really don't need a hood or light. Can just use a mesh of some kind if you have it, or keep the water level down a couple inches so he can't jump out. Good luck, I hope some how he makes it. Just do daily water changes and put a used filter in there to help cycle it.

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
i definitely need something on top of the tank, especially if it is on the floor.. i have 2 curious trouble making dogs... they will drink from the fish tank and that cant be healthy... someone told me that a stand meant for a 55 will be big enough for my 40 breeder... is this true? also, what size filter/heater would i need for this tank?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I think the filter you have on your 10gal would be ok for now since it was handleing the bio-load of both the pleco and your lil goldfish. There are several filters available that would work on your 40 its just a matter of finding whats available to you localy unless your willing to order from online.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yes, a stand for a 55 would work, the weight of the 40 is actually less than a 55 by a good 100 pounds or more. as long as the dimensions of the 40 are not exceeding the surface of the stand (no edges of tank hanging over the stand).

as for the dogs getting in there, do you have a spare room or a bedroom that the dogs could be shut out of? that would solve the problem. i personally would not be concerned with a dog drinking tank water as long as there are no meds in the tank. i might be concerned with the fish freaking out or the dog trying to get the fish.

if you don't mind light being blocked from entering the tank via the top you could wrap saran wrap over just about any rigid material (like cardboard) and lay that across the top of the tank. the saran wrap will waterproof the cardboard somewhat. maybe just leave the back couple inches across the tank open for cords for heaters, filters, etc. and for air exchange. you could even use packing tape or duct tape to secure the 'lid' to one side of the tank so you would have some form of hinge when opening it, and then just have a flap of tape as a 'latch' on the side opposite the hinge to secure the lid to the tank, keeping puppies, etc out of there.

as for filter, just transfer the current one over for now. the bioload of the tank is actually being reduced some (ok, maybe not the right words, but its what stuck in my head, lol), even though you are keeping the same number (1) of fish in there. the reason it's being reduced is that there is more water in the 40, which results a higher dilution rate for wastes, etc.

i always thought that goldfish didn't require a heated tank. if the air temperature in your house closely matches that of the temperature requirements of a goldfish and your house temperature doesn't fluctuate much, i would not put a heater in. another reason for not heating would be if there is any bacterial problems with this fish, the warmer water would cause bacteria to proliferate at a greater rate.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
A quick, albeit unattractive, stand would be to use three or four cinder blocks with a board layed across the top of them. That would give you some room to do water changes and gravel vacs.

Kristina

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Ok, so I am going to go home today, measure the tank, and go to the lfs and find a stand. I will get the stand and the filter, and set it up so my comet can have more space... ill let you guys know how the move goes

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
one thing you might consider is putting him in a large "Rubbermaid" or "Sterilite" tub instead of trying to find a large enough tank. They are both "Food Safe" so after a quick washout they are fine for fish.

Make sure you use the required amount of dechlore and test your source water as well. A simple air sponge and a large tub will keep a fish with no problems. I would not wait for the tub to cycle as it can't be any worse than whatever is in your tank killing your fish. Since you have a filter, you can use that on the tub even though it is too small. You will need to do 50% daily. This will give you time to clean out the infected tank and start it over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store