dying/dead comet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
nah im not gonna do a rubbermaid tub... if im gonna have the fish hes gonna be in a tank, plus he is very social and likes to look out. I dont mind putting the work into the tank, as long as he is happy.... i just need to figure out what i can use for a lid/light......i dont want him getting out or the dogss getting in lol

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Stressy, as an alternative to buying a new tank setup paying full retail at your LFS, be sure you also look into getting a used tank through Craigslist/local want ads or any fish clubs in your area... just in case cost is a factor. Figure out how much space you have available for the new tank and exactly how many goldfish you're going to want. Then to plan this out, estimate a minimum of 15 gallons per goldfish for fancies and 20 gallons per goldfish for pond varieties. For the amount of money you would pay for the tank alone in a store, you could probably get a larger one that's fully equipped with all the supplies and accessories you need for a lot less. Tank size is your most important consideration right away... and whatever you find will most likely still need a big upgrade in filtration. To estimate that for a goldfish setup, figure out how many total gallons of water the tank will hold and get filters that are rated at 4 times that number of gallons filtered per hour.

For anything else you'd like to ask or discuss about setups, stocking, or basic care and feed... you might as well start a new thread for this in our main coldwater forum.

I am so happy your fish is responding well so far. We really are here to help, so whatever else we can do, just let us know. :)

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
:clap: Sure will Kash. You have been a lifesaver, literally, for my little buddy! I will most definitely post a new thread when I figure out what I want to do. Cost has been a big factor, and I just priced out what I would need to get this tank operational and it is about $350 give or take... I am gonna be hunting for a sturdy table to hold it instead of the $200 stand that I saw...:huh:

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Craigslist, garage sales, local fish groups will help you out big time. Never buy tanks or stands new if money is an issue. If you know someone handy maybe you could build your own.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Stressgoddess, I hope your goldie keeps getting better. I'm glad you are here on AC, and hope you don't beat yourself up over this. I can tell you really care about your little guy, and you are going to be a great fishkeeper.

You've come to the right place for help and support. The AC members helped me so much through my mistakes and mishaps, and I've learned so much here.

Keep up the good work! We're all here to share our experience, offer help, and cheer you on in your efforts.

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
would it be cheaper to buy wood and make the stand? my fiancee is very handy, and could probably do it if i could find a plan for making a 55 stand... I found out yesterday that my tank is not a 40 breeder after all, it is just a standard 40 gallon, which has the same footprint as a 55 but not the height...
I was also tossing around the idea of getting the 55 starter kit and the stand since it costs about the same, and comes with everything. granted i will have to get a new filter of course but other than that the starter kit comes with everything.
my main concern is to get something to put this tank on so i can set it up, and get a filter so he can at least go into the new tank. I can get the hood etc later, but i need something to put it on because once its full, thats where it is staying!

stressgoddess1

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
quick update, he is looking much better! Thank you guys for al of your support!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
may i suggest that you also separate the male/female guppies so as to not have babies,..
of course they will continue till the stored up sperm is used in the females,..

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
So glad he's looking and feeling better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store