Eclipse is to freshwater as (blank) is to saltwater....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PPMN

Who could resist this face??
I just learned the most interesting thing ever! Clownfish change sexes! One site even said if you buy one bigger than the other (young) the larger one will turn female and the other male.

I'm sure it's old news to all of you...but I'm suprised. Makes you think twice about "Nemo".

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ok, dumb question time again. Why are you adding freshwater to a saltwater tank??

This will be slow going, so I have time. I'm hinting to my husband for an aniversary gift, but that's not till the end of April.

So just how expensive is lighting?
Water evaporates, salt does not. So when you have to top off your tank before your next water change you top off with FW so it doesn't change the specfic gravity or salinity in the tank.

Lighting for tanks comes in a variety of pricelines. Some of the more inexpensive ones however can have high costs when it comes to bulb replacement. Best thing to do is to have an idea of what kind of stock you want to keep in the tank and then we can help with what their light demands would be to narrow down your light choices.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just learned the most interesting thing ever! Clownfish change sexes! One site even said if you buy one bigger than the other (young) the larger one will turn female and the other male.

I'm sure it's old news to all of you...but I'm suprised. Makes you think twice about "Nemo".
Kinda, they both start off male and one will turn female. There are other fish that do this as well but often in reverse

PPMN

Corals I like the looks of:

Chili Coral
Mushrooms
Zoanthids

I also like those clam thingy's that look like coral...BEAUTIFUL! Feather dusters are pretty.

Possible fish:
Ocellaris Clownfish
small starfish
some sort of goby
shrimp
reef safe crabs (don't know which species is good)

Any thoughts?

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Reef safe crabs? do you mean hermits or regular crabs?

Most hermits are reef safe, scarlets and blue legs are probably the most popular and become a great foundation for a cleanup crew. Zebras are pretty cool too.

As far as regular crabs, Emerald Mithrax Crab is a great algae eater, but you would need a more mature tank, otherwise they might starve, or worse, they could feast on something else, most crabs are opportunistic feeders, so if you don't provide them food they will find it themselves, and it won't always be what you wanted them to eat! :eek3:

The rest I am not a fan of, for me personally, you need to be careful with crabs, perhaps others here might have some suggestions.

good luck with whatever you decide!

PPMN

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store