Eclipse is to freshwater as (blank) is to saltwater....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PPMN

Who could resist this face??
More questions, bear with me...

Does a reef aquarium need a heater? (I assume so, but joander123's list didn't include one)

If so, how warm does it need to stay and what type would be good for a nano?

I called my LFS to ask about how much they charge for the Aquaclear 110, being they sent me a coupon. The guy told me they don't carry them, that they only carry the ones with the biowheel because they are better. I told him what you all said and he told me I'd have to have a p. skimmer. Then I told him I wanted to do a nano reef and he said I couldn't do one less than 30 gallons. I reminded him they have a nano reef 10 gal setup for sale in the front of the store (dummy) and he said "oh yeah, (probably drooling on the floor) we do, hahaha. Well you still need a protein skimmer". Now usually I get really good advice there, so this guy could either be new or a "freshwater" person giving advice about something he doesn't know anything about. OR he could be right...I dunno. He said the alternative filter (not the skimmer, that's extra) is over $100!!!!

Is the Aquaclear 110 a good filter?
Do I really need a p. skimmer (for a 10-20 gal)?
Is there an alternative filter made by Marineland around the same price as the Aquaclear 110 so I can use my coupon...or should I stick with the Aquaclear 110 and look elsewhere?

He also told me I can "have 1" of saltwater fish per gallon meaning in a 15 gallon I can only have one fish". Yes, you read that right. I was confused too.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, you'll want a heater. I explain them briefly here. I shoot to keep my temp between 78-80 although it will fluctuate a bit with extreme changes in weather.

I'm not familiar with the Aquaclear personally. I do have a Marineland Multistage canister that I like because it runs very quietly and easy to clean in my opinion as you can unhook the canister from the tubes and move it to a sink to clean. I don't use it on the tank 24/7 because I have enough live rock now but I do use it when I need to run carbon.

You don't need a skimmer for a nano if you are attentive to water changes. However, I've heard great things about the Tunze Nano skimmer (John_Auberry here has one), and many are looking forward to the new EuroReef Nano due to come out in February.

I'd ignore the inch per gallon as it is more of a guideline than a rule. And he obviously goofed if he thinks a 15" fish is suitable for a a 15g tank.

PPMN

Thanks Grins.

When the guy told me it was an inch per gallon rule he then stated I could only have one fish in a 15 gallon which made no sense as one clown fish is not going to be 15". Anyway, I know from freshwater that the inch per gallon thing depends on many factors. At the most I'd get 4 fish, two clowns and a goby or two but to start (after cycling) I'll probably just get one clown and some coral (coral first, then the clown). Don't want to rush things. What makes the reef pretty are the coral, not necessarily tons of fish.

PPMN

I found a local reef club I didn't know about a few days ago and went to a meeting they held last night. It was AWESOME! The place was packed with at least 75+ people and I learned so much talking to people! I also won a raffle for $25 at the very nice, newly opened store (only 5 mins from my house...yay!) it was held at.

The store has a 29 gal biocube for $230.00. Should I wait for a better deal? I dunno.

PPMN

I could do that, hehehe. I found a guy who is selling his 29 gal with LR, corals, and fish for $200! That sounds like an awfully good deal to me...I'll have to see what happens.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I could do that, hehehe. I found a guy who is selling his 29 gal with LR, corals, and fish for $200! That sounds like an awfully good deal to me...I'll have to see what happens.
That sounds like a great deal!

PPMN

I saw a pic of the tank, it looks good (lots of coral).
What is that green stuff everywhere? Is it algae? How could I get rid of it? I'd like to keep the tank a bit more pristine if possible. Am I being picky?

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Looks great! Do you have it already? If so, I think you got a wonderful deal. Such a cute clownfish too. You should take more pictures.

I believe the green algae is a type of hard coralline algae that is often found scattered on the sides of tanks or at least that is what I was told. Is it hard to get off the sides of the tank? You can just scrape it off with one of those razers (if your tank is glass). Mag floats usually don't work for me. My nano has the same green algae, although not as dense. I don't have any other algae in my tank except for that stuff and purple coralline so its usually growing happily with light. Hopefully others will also offer their advice.

What type of lighting does it have?

PPMN

I didn't get the tank. The guy decided not to sell any of the live items so I didn't buy it. Why would I when I can get a new one for the same price??? Bummer.

I've decided to buy a 29 g glass tank and start from scratch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store