Fairwell discus :( good riddance CAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ngaio

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Dave: I think you are right to point out that euthanasia is not the least responsible choice. While killing fish that don't fit in your tank may not be my first choice it certainly beats letting them "free" in the local stream or pond.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
just out of curiousity, when is mature or how long are they when theyre mature?

mine is still small.. about 4 inches and eats much algae in my 110 gallon tank. not agressive at all, one of my coolest residents

Bucho

Just along for the ride
Dec 13, 2002
Visit site
A Better Way

While I do not post here alot, I read and follow thread here very often on the chance that I may have some input or learn something in the process. It is uncalled for reactions to mistakes and comments, like we have read here, that are going to keep a lot of people from seeking help on this site. Like everyone said already there will always be mistakes and no one will ever agree on the best way to handle a situation, but those who come across as rude and degrading will almost always be the lst ones listened to. Unfortnately this is not the first post like this I have seen this week. All I'm asking is for those who have strong feelings about a topic to reread your post before submitting it an dthinking whether or not you would appreciate being spoken to that way or "could there have been a better way".

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
why should someone sugarcoat the fact that killing an animal due to lack of research is irresponsible?

the person found this site enough to post, youd think they would also be able to find out about the CAE evil streak as its disscused quite often here.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
Which is worse, killing the fish, or just pawning your fish off on someone else so it can attack/kill all of theirs? I have had the same problem with Chinese algae eaters. I got them before I knew that they were problems when mature. Did you ever stop to think this is the case here? People go to pet stores thinking they're not going to be misled, and if they're lucky, they aren't. However, have you ever been in a pet store where CAE's were in the "agressive" fish section? I haven't. I ended up euthanising my chinese algae eater, because it was the only choice I had, and I can't say I enjoyed it. But, it was a better solution than:

A) Keeping it in a tank too small for it
B) Keeping it and have it continually harassing my fish
C) Taking it to a pet store which wouldn't take it if I said, "This fish attacks other fish"
D) Taking it to a pet store where someone else would buy it, not knowing it would attack their fish

People on this website need to get a grip on their egos. This person made a mistake, admits they did so, and they have to choose how to deal with it. The simple fact is, everyone associated with this hobby is responsible for unnecessary fish deaths. Sure, maybe you're a perfect fish keeper and never had a fish die due to anything you've done. But how many fish do you think have died for each one that you own?

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
People on this website need to get a grip on their egos. This person made a mistake, admits they did so, and they have to choose how to deal with it. The simple fact is, everyone associated with this hobby is responsible for unnecessary fish deaths. Sure, maybe you're a perfect fish keeper and never had a fish die due to anything you've done. But how many fish do you think have died for each one that you own?

Did "everyone else" purposely, pointlessly kill them?

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
If you would look at the whole situation, it isn't a pointless killing. What is better, having one dead fish, or a whole tank of dead fish and/or fish injured from being attacked. If you saw somene walking beside the road in a blizzard with just a t-shirt on and gave them a ride because you were nice, stopped at McDonalds and they pulled out a gun and started shooting people, would you try to stop them or just say, "well, it was a mistake I made, and I'm not going to stop them because it's my fault that I was stupid and didn't do a criminal background check before I picked this person up?" Yeah, that may be a reach, but whatever. And as far as fish pointlessly dying from the hobby, I'd say yes, everyone has contributed to that. Fish do not exist to be kept in tanks a fraction of the size of their environment. The people who breed fish by the thousands, or millions even, don't give a rats behind if they end up in a wonderfully maintained aquarium or being flushed down the toilet.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Since the original poster hasn't been back, this seems like it's beating a dead horse at this point.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
OK let me clear some stuff up

No, I did not just disapear. I got busy.

The second I noticed the CAE attacks on my other fish I have been deperatly trying to rehome them. I love the way they look, and they cleaned up my 10 gal tank nicely when I first bought them

Lets step back a little bit. I am just a kid. I am a kid that has to ask permission and spend allowance money on pets. I bought that 10 gal fishtank nearly two years ago, not knowing anything about fish. I overstocked and put tiger barbs with angels. When I started, I freely admit that wanted fish because they were pretty and they'd look good in my room. When I had algae I went to my dad who said "get some algae eaters" then I went to the store and asked if they had algae eating fish. The man at the store showed me, I asked if they would be ok in my tank, I asked how big they got, he said they stayed small. Maybe I was stupid, but I was VERY new to the hobby so I trusted the man at the store and took three home.

When I got more into it, and became interested in keeping fish alive I started to buy more tanks that I could pick up used. I replaced filters and airpumps, and I deeply researched fish. My tanks are small, 10, 300, and two 5 gal but I have learned to pick appropriate fish for them, for the most part. When I realized my algae eaters were not staying small I moved them to my bigger tank. Then they grew some more and stopped eating algae. I took out an add, and I called some lfs to see if anyone would take them.

I had a friend who wanted them, then I realized he had some angels, and after seeing the algae eaters harrassing mine, I informed him. I was NOT going to pass the problem on. That wouldn't be fair to anyone.

I have called all over the city, and every time I have told them why I couldn't keep them, and every store has told me that is the reason they sell them small. NO ONE will take them. I have been through the phone book twice. I have taken out another add, I went to my regular store and asked if they knew anyone that was looking for them. NO ONE!

I am sorry if it offends you. But I keep more animals than just fish, and I pride myself on being humane and understanding with them, I spend all my time and money on them and I care very much. Yes I was annoyed that the discus (which my father bought for me. Yes, he does get a say, he's the boss) was killed, and I did feel badly that I didn't get the algae eaters out fast enough.
I am still trying to rehome them. I did not rush to kill them, and would never do that. I would also feel very badly, as I said in past posts, if it really came to that. Right now I hate to see them in that tiny 5 gal tank swimming around like mad. I've had to repair the ciover to keep them from jumping out. If I didn't care wouldn't I let them jump out? have taken out more ads and have posted notices at the local grocery store.
But if I can't rehome them, and I certaintly can't afford a new tank for them, then I don't see how it is any better to keep them in a small tank where they are literally going mad. Euthanisation is a last resort for me, I have spent $100 of $5.00 birds for vet bills. I would never kill a creature unless I had no other choice, and right now I don't have one.
I also have a classified ad on these forums saying that if someone will pay shipping and tell me how, I will see if I can do that.

I am afraid that I have had very few positive experiances on this site, I am either ignored or I get my head biten off for a mistake. Some of you are very kind, but honestly the only reason I keep coming back is because I am trying to LEARN. Unfortunatly I am learning that this is an elitest hobby. And I am sorry if I am over stepping some boundry by saying so, but I don't think making me feel stupid is helping any. I am trying, but as a kid, I do tend to seek advice from people, who maybe aren't the best resource. And had I known about this site before I started keeping fish, maybe I would have been saved from my mistakes. Thats all they are though, mistakes, and I do feel bad that my mistakes have cost lives, but I don't think I diserve to be ridiculed. I come here asking for help, not insults.

So for those of you who have tried to help me, thanks, and as of now I am still desperatly looking for new homes for these fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store