Fairwell discus :( good riddance CAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andytwite

AC Members
Apr 25, 2004
Vermont
Visit site
Bozco, well done on having the ***ls to stand up and admit when you've made a mistake. You wrote that piece very well.

I find it quite interesting to note that the flaming and bashing pretty much stopped.

We all make mistakes, I challenge ANYONE out there to say in total honesty that they've never made a mistake.

Topics such as this arouse a lot of emotion in people.....I hope we all can learn something from this thread and remember that we are all human, we all screw up on occasion, and this is a hobby that is pretty darn easy to screw-up in!!

I don't mean this to provoke any anger, retaliation or feelings one way or another, just that we could all do with remaining a bit more objective on occasion.

Just my 2c.

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Just curious, would feeding the CAE to some pirahna or other large fish or a snake or cat, satisfy everyone? Probably not, ;) but the fish would be gone and they would serve a natural purpose of being food for another creature.

I would check around for someone or a store that needs feeders bozco. Good luck.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm still looking, keeping an eye on the pet wanted ads for anyone interested in free fish, there used to be alot of those, but they a haven't showed up to awhile (figures)

I got a question though. There is a tank in my Chemistry class at school, I think 35 gal. It has five clown loaches, a single bala shark (I know I know, don't bother lecturing me on bala sharks, its not my fish) and two plecos (I think they are plecos. One is about 4 inches and the other around 8inches)
Anyways. I look at that tank and see alot of empty space, but then I realize that is because they are all hiding in that one little bit of cover. In my opinion this tank is overstocked and it would not be a good idea to even offer the algae eaters to the teacher in charge of that tank. Opinions? That tank full? Or does anyone think that CAE will be ok in there? The only involvement I have with this tank is that I occassionally stay late after school to clean it, because no one else does it.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
I would say that tank is very overstocked...HOWEVER...I guess since it already is, what is one CAE going to hurt? You said your fish was already in a 5 gallon tank, which as you also said is too small...So I would say go for it if the teacher will take it. The tank will be overstocked, but at least your fish will have room to move around or whatever. One thing is though, I think I saw somewhere that plecos have a thick slime coat. Since this is what CAE's are after when they attack fish, this could be a large problem.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Vanheelsfan has a point about the slime coat, I think the cae will harrass the pleco.

I am getting in on this thread a bit late, but I just wanted to say that I admire you for admitting that you made a mistake (which we ALL do at least once!!) and trying to find a home for the mean fish...

schiejr mentioned using the fish as a feeder fish, maybe you can bring that up to your lfs? If they have turtles, or larger predatory fish, or even large snakes, I don't see why they wouldn't take you up on that offer. Kind of like "circle of life", kwim?

Anyways, good luck, keep us posted!

~Tara

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
bozco, unfortunately you heard from some very vocal folks who tore you down. That's not the way most people feel. I would have jumped in here sooner but I wasn't following the thread since I don't keep discus or caes :D

Sounds to me like you've done what a lot of us have done, trusted an LFS employee with your stocking decisions. I think you're going about it the right way and personally, I think you've gone far beyond what most folks would have to relocate the CAEs. I know I wouldn't have gone that far.

I don't think this is an elitist hobby. that doesn't mean there aren't elitists involved in it though. Once you go onto an annonymous forum like this you can find them all. Its real easy to be perfect and righteous in 200 word posts when no one knows who you really are. Don't take this stuff too seriously ;)

Tom

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I won't tell everyone what I did to the CAE I had that ate a $50 goldfish....

suffice it to say it wasn't pretty.

We all make mistakes, and I think you are doing the right thing by trying to place the fish before resorting to euthanasia (which is not even the word I would use to describe what I did to the one I had....)...

It is a learning experience, and I hope that everything works out for the best from it.

:)
PBQ

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
I won't tell everyone what I did to the CAE I had that ate a $50 goldfish....
YIKES!!!

that must have been either a really rare goldfish, or CAE's must get REALLY big!!

good luck finding your guys a home.
you might want to try returning the CAEs to the store you got them from WITHOUT telling them that they've been attacking your fish. they didnt tell you that there was a risk, why should you tell them? just say they dont get along with your other fish, dont mention the "they killed my discus" part.

you might be able to get by with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store