Fed up!!!!! Ideas, anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
A 30% water change weekly should work out just fine for you. Unless you have very sensitive fish such as discus, one water change a week is sufficient.

Marinemom

Tigris7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
50% H2O change is too drastic. I only do that if it is an emergency. Only do 30% H2O changes, and unless you overfeed, do it once every three to four weeks. That way thel cycle of waste breakdown is not disturbed and you end up creating a natural biosphere. But don't overfeed.

A 10 gal tank is too small for anything in my opinion. Reason is, the more mass of H2O you have, the slower any changes like temp, ph or whatever will take effect. The less watermass, the faster the changes take effect which is bad for the fish. They would normally live in a large body of water where any change in water chemistry is incremental unless there is a disturbance of some kind.

I have had great success after buying a reverse osmosis water filter and using only filtered water.

I also believe Neons are S. American, so they require water low in ph... like 6.8 I believe.

Last edited:

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
Tigris7 said:
50% H2O change is too drastic. I only do that if it is an emergency. Only do 30% H2O changes, and unless you overfeed, do it once every three to four weeks. That way thel cycle of waste breakdown is not disturbed and you end up creating a natural biosphere. But don't overfeed.
I am sorry but a water change once every 3-4 weeks? What are your nitrate readings by the time you get around to doing a water change? They have to be sky high!! It's also not only the nitrates that you need to worry about but also dissolved organic compounds, hormones that will stunt, etc. I'm sorry, not trying to personally dog you, if it works for you hey, thats great, but please do not expell this advice to others.

And I will once again stand behind my statement that there is nothing wrong with weekly water changes of 50%. There are many others on this board who also do large weekly, even bi-weekly water changes with no ill effects on their fish.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you are doing a 50% change weekly, then you have theoretically turned the tank water over twice in a month. if you are only doing 10% changes, then you barely change half the water in a month. doing large water changes weekly keeps the tank water much closer in composition to the tap water so that the changes are LESS drastic. if you only do 10% a week, or worse, 30% maybe once a month, old tank syndrome is going to creep up pretty fast.

do you know anything about cycling a tank and maintaining proper water quality, Tigris? water changes are a necessary part of it to remove the final waste product, nitrates. you can't "create a natural biosphere" unless you have a heavy planted tank and a very low bioload. otherwise, organic wastes build up and will slowly poison the fish. the bacterial colonies are not disturbed by water changes when done correctly, and neither are fish. while 10g tanks may not be ideal for most kinds of fish, it's better to keep them in a healthy and clean environment rather than a dirty and polluted one.

shoe

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Jensons said:
My gravel is small aquarium rock and polished pebbles.

My two decorations are "manufactured," one is a rock/cave structure
and one is driftwood.
Just yesterday I was 'assisting' a gent in a fish shop and the discussion turned to pH: he had issues trying to maintain a 'reasonable' pH. I spoke with him about his substrate and I asked about his gravel... He pointed me to a bag on the shelf and we read the fine print: 'MAY AFFECT PH'.

shoe

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Bitsy said:
If that is the issue then why are the neons the only fish I lost in that tank? There are hundreds of people on this site that do 50% or greater water changes weekly with no ill effects.
I would entertain the idea that some fish are more resilient to dramatic water changes than others (and one thing that really burns me is how everyone you speak to has their own 'right' opinion about it! - me included!!!!!).

I suppose one way to look at it is to place yourself an airtight small house then have someone every two weeks dump half the air out for new air which may or may not be the exact concentration of gasses that you are used to.. For example, you may be a 'country girl' and what's put into the tank is 'city smog' :rolleyes: Yeah I'm being silly but there is at least SOME truth to the scenario. :)

What other fish do you have in your tank AND besides the fish, what else is in your tank? Your substrate?

And if I missed it (my apologies), what is the size of your tank and finally, how do you treat your water?

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
shoe, Was that last question set for me or bitsy? I have answered all those questions already. As the pH in my tank and the pH strait from the tap are both 7.2, I am putting my money on the issue having been that I shocked the poor little guys, not through pH, but rather just stress. Thanks for responding quickly and giving me so many ideas!

Marinemom, Thanks for the answers. I will slow down the water changes. :)

Tigris, I have been keeping successful small tanks for many years. Usually I have bettas, but for this 10g I wanted something different. I am well aware of the challenges that you mentioned, but many diligent fishkeepers do not find a 10 too difficult to keep.

echo, How long does it take to refill your tank that way?

Any ideas on the danios? :look:

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Tigris7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Bitsy,

I have kept fish on and off for 15 years. The only fish I have been unsuccsessful with were puffers. Albeit them, I have rarely lost a fish. If I did, it was due to a jumper or aggression from another fish. I am not the one who is losing fish.

As incredible as it may sound to you, my formula has worked for me for a long time. I will add however, that I use plenty of filtration/powerheads and almost always have used undergravel filters (have constructed my own the last several years) and as I mentioned before, reverse osmosis filtered water is awesome to use. I also use a diatom filter once or twice a month.

I may sound argumentative right now, but I am reacting to a strongly worded rebuff for what was a sincere desire to help.

BTW, danios are cool, especially when you have enough to school together.

Last edited:

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
I wasn't trying to rebuff you anymore than you seem have been trying to chastise me. I am sure your tanks are fabulous. I am jealous that you haven't had the issues that I am having and will give serious thought to the way I word myself from here on out. I apologize if I was rude or seemed haughty. I am just feeling comforable psoting here, as when I joined the site there were some fairly aggressive posters. I do not want to contribute to an atmosphere that resembles that in any way. I am sincerely thankful for the time you have put into your postings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store