Female Bettas- Unknown Disease, Please Help Me :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
And last but not least a little roughly handrawn diagram (I DO realize that in pic 3 the white bump is actually her ovipositor, BTW).

Attachments

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Did you start the Maracyn and Maracyn II. I am pretty sure now that this is Columnaris.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Well after two days of treatment the small one (the melano/blue female) seems to be getting more active (eating food, etc.), although there are no visible physical improvements.
However the yellow female is ignoring her food and is behaving very lethargically. Her cotton-engulfed ventral has taken over her other ventral so now all she has is a cottony-like mess in place of her two fins.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How are you doing with water changes? You need to dose each day just after a huge water change, to keep their water pristine.

Is it possible to post more pics?

They are each in separate 2.5 gallon tanks, right? How are you managing the dosing, since the packages are in dosage for 10 gallon tanks?

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Oh I use the spare 10g that I have and mix the meds + water, and then re-add water when it evaporates + continue the meds like that.
I try to keep the water as pristine as possible by doing water changes daily. Things seem to be improving for the melano/blue but not the yellow one :(

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
So they are both in the 10 gallon? Do they seem OK together, I mean, the stress that the one is feeling isn't from having a room mate is it?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
What are their names?

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Whoops! Sorry my wording was a bit off...
They are both in different 2.5 gallon tanks.
I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I use to measure the medication (I use what I need and keep the rest for the next water change). I loosely cover this tank with Saran wrap so that there is still a bit of air flow, but not too much, and to prevent dust particles and dirt from entering the tank. When water evaporates, I simply add more (the meds don't evaporate, I hope).
The yellow one's name is Anna, named after the seller who sold me the bettas for lack of a more creative name. The smaller one (melano/blue) was named first actually, by my baby sister who called it "Shrimpette". Shrimp is a synonym for small (in some contexts), and because she is female, my sister felt the need to add an ~ette suffix to her name, hence Shrimpette.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the reason meds need to be re-dosed so often during treatment is because they lose their effectiveness. call it 'tank-life' if you may, the meds break down in water and lose their potency.

i think maybe your method of keeping the meds pre-mixed with water in the 10 gallon isn't the best course of action, and with the size tanks the bettas are in it is super duper easy enough to calculate how much you need. one quarter of the dose exactly per tank, since each tank is 2.5 gallons. if the meds are powder form then dump the powder onto a dark smooth surface and make two piles that are equal in size. then divide each pile again into half. viola! each pile (one quarter of the meds) is an appropriate dose for a 2.5 gallon tank.

if the meds are in pill form then just grind up the pills into a powder and follow the above steps.

keep each 2.5 gallon dose wrapped up in a little tinfoil packet and keep the packets in a ziploc, just in case any of the packets should bust open.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store