Female Bettas- Unknown Disease, Please Help Me :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Yes, I was wondering about the method of dosing for two 2.5 tanks and wanted to make sure things were going the way they should. When you said ten I was hoping they were both in there.

As BFM said, the meds break down, and this may be what's causing the slow progress. They're getting a full dose when you first mix it up, but by the next day the meds that were premixed in the 10 have lost their strength and efficacy.

I had a 5 gallon hospital and it was a pain, with the two meds being packaged for a ten gallon. I poured mine out on card stock and with a credit card I separated the pile into two lines, like you see cocaine being done in the movies or on TV. It's not precise, but it's close.

When I had my lines looking equal, I'd scrape one line into the tank, carefully so as not to disturb the other line, then I'd fold the card stock and pour the other line into the tinfoil packet. I kept the other dose closed up in the foil and in a ziploc as BFM did.

I think things may turn around if you start dosing this way. You really must put fresh meds in their tanks everyday, just after the water change. Don't feel bad, it's an easy mistake to make. There's nothing on the packaging that mentions the meds becoming unavailable, or ineffective, after a few hours if mixed in water.

The fish get the benefit of the antibiotic right after it's put in their tank and for a few hours, but not many. I've read comments by others that state after 12 hours the antibiotics have broken down and are unavailable.

Don't let this discourage you, just do the dose tomorrow using new packets.
EDIT: Or dose this evening if the dose they already got today was the premixed water from yesterday.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Oops... took me too long to post my message. I had to take care of some things here and just now got back to my compurter. BFM explained it perfectly.

Last edited:

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, thanks for the info! I did a new dose yesterday and I will in a couple of minutes :)
On a positive note the cottony thing seems to have fallen off. However the yellow one is still not eating. I am quite positive that the bloody stump will heal, from the looks of it.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Keep us posted, we're all pulling for you and your girls.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
good to hear there's some improvement!

and mel..... lol, and thanks for the props!

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
ICH! No seriously, ICH! Treat with copper or, I use Rid-Ich. Those are the clear bubbles you see on the fins. Full water change in three days, treat again, and repeat - I keep mine in gravel free 1/2 gallon jars with a little salt added until cured. What you are seeing are the cysts that then hatch and re-infect. If you don't have snails, treat the whole tank.

It looks like you have more than one problem going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store