Female Bettas- Unknown Disease, Please Help Me :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Do you really thing so, Hairchest? It looked to me like clear bubbles from a water change. I didn't see any signs of that on any of the bodies, just the fin margins, and it sure looks like tiny clear bubbles clinging to the fins.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
I sure hope its not Ich! I just assumed that they were air bubbles because they had appeared right after the water change. I am doing daily water changes, and the "bubbles" seem to quickly disappear.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
from what i can see it is just bubbles from the water changes clinging to the fins. ich looks like grains of salt stuck to the fish's body and fins.

progress update on the betta girls, please!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Well the melano/blue girl seems to be doing fine. Water change and feeding in a few minutes and another update coming up!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
Well, the yellow female's anal fin is growing back. The melano/blue girl's caudal stump is as well, although it is growing very slowly compared to the yellow one's. They are both eating, which is great news :D
And the red stump is still there but I feel that she (the yellow girl) is healing because this morning I saw a full ventral fin! Maybe I missed it or she was clamping it when the cottony blob was there, but I am still glad!
Thank you so much BFM and Mel ;)

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
One question though: what disease do you think it was? Does Columnaris eat away fins like that? And also when betta fish have experienced fin rot, their immunity to it is weakened permanently so they must have water chanes every day. Is this the case with columnaris?
Thanks

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
It is abosolutely awesome that they are recovering. I can't tell you how happy and thankful I am to hear that.

I don't think they will be more susceptible just because they've had it, but I would just strive to keep their environment as stress free as possible, their water pristine, a good variety of food to provide all their nutritional needs, you might even look into vitamin supplementation for them, and stay watchful.

I think once they fully recover, you don't need to worry too much.

How long did you go with the Maracyns, after you realised the correct dosing?

I think 10 days of treatment, at the full strength that is assured by the fresh mixing and addition of the antibiotics each day after a big water change, as you've been doing, will assure complete recovery. Did you go a full 10 days?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store