Fertilizer Recommendations & Info - the Informal FAQ

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
Anyone know how to figure out how to calculate PPM?
In particular:

Flourish Phosphorus
(2.5mL for 10 gallons raises phosphorus by 0.10 mg/L (0.30 mg/L phosphate))
What ppm of phosphate would that be?

Flourish Iron
(1 mL for 10 gallons for 0.10 mg/L iron)
What ppm of iron would that be?

Flourish Nitrogen
??

I figured out:
Flourish Potassium
5 mL for 30 gallons raises potassium by 2 mg/L
The recommended dose of Flourish Potassium will increase potassium levels by 1 ppm

Based on this tidbit of info from the Potassium, should I assume that 2mg/L = 1ppm is a standard rule of thumb?

Last edited:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
1ppm = 1mg/L

working backwards:
1ppm is 1uL of solute per L of water (the u should be the greek letter mu which means one millionth of whatever unit follow (litre in this case).

Water has a density of 1g/mL or 1mg/uL

Therefore:
1ppm=1uL/L=1mg/L

Since the solutions are dilute, we assume that whatever is added to the water (PO4, NO3, K, Fe, etc.) has no appreciable effect on density, and therefore 1mg/L=1ppm by very good assumption.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Here's a Newbie question and hopefully I'm not the only peson who has ever worried about this regarding Dosing Fertilizers:

Do I need to dose ferts at any certain time? I mean like 2 hours after feeding my fish or something like that, so as to give the fertilizers time to dilute through the water column and not end up concentrated in some fishes belly?

Homebrewhead

AC Members
Jan 19, 2005
These products you mention:

Stump Remover? For removing stumps outside in the ground?

Flourish, is this a Pet Store product or a Plant Store Product?

And Fleet Enema, is this a drug store item?

Nu-Salt, a Grocery Store item?

Need help on my situation. I initially got a tank as a gift. So we threw some gravel in, corny Pirate's chest, etc.

But after looking at some of the beautiful tanks out there I decided I wanted a natural planted tank with the most colorful fish available.

I have gravel in the tank, I'm reading Flourite is the substate to have.

Will Jobes Fern & Palm spikes be okay? What do I do with my Fish if I have to swap out the gravel?

I swear no one at Petsmart/Petco know what they are talking about! :mad2

Even my LFS can't answer my questions!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Homebrewhead said:
These products you mention:

Stump Remover? For removing stumps outside in the ground?
Yip, that's it. You can find it ni larger Home and Garden Centers for a decent price.
Flourish, is this a Pet Store product or a Plant Store Product?
Pet store product. It's made by Seachem specifically for FW aquaria
And Fleet Enema, is this a drug store item?
Correct. Most grocery stores in the US carry them in their drug aisles as well.
Nu-Salt, a Grocery Store item?
Yes. Look in the spice section for salt substitutes like Mrs. Dash. It'll be around there.
Need help on my situation. I initially got a tank as a gift. So we threw some gravel in, corny Pirate's chest, etc.

But after looking at some of the beautiful tanks out there I decided I wanted a natural planted tank with the most colorful fish available.

I have gravel in the tank, I'm reading Flourite is the substate to have.

Will Jobes Fern & Palm spikes be okay? What do I do with my Fish if I have to swap out the gravel?
I and several others around here dislike the jobes spikes. They contain ammonia and urea. Those can cause problems if you move plants around (I do all the time, I assume someone starting out would). Seachem makes a root tab you could check out. Flourite is a very popular substrate. I use plain old Pool Filter Sand with decent results. Most plants seem to draw the nutrients frm the water column as much or more than the substrate.
I swear no one at Petsmart/Petco know what they are talking about! :mad2

Even my LFS can't answer my questions!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
We've all been there. I learned more on this forum than I could have in weeks at my LFS. Good luck! Oh, and I wanted to tell you to check out Big Al's Online for cheap planted tank stuff like Flourish and Flourish Tabs. They have the best prices and they carry it always.

Homebrewhead

AC Members
Jan 19, 2005
Thanks for the help.

One last question. How would I handle my fish if I want to add Flourite to my tank?

Thanks again.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
You're very welcome. As for swapping substrate, I've never done it. I did a search on the forums and found this thread from a while back. Seemed to have some decent advice from some folks I trust. Give it a read.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store