Finally, Brichardi Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BV77

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Palmer, Alaska
Visit site
IME the brichardi will eventually take over the tank. I had mine in with some calvus and leleupi, and petricolas.....................now that tank has only brichardi, as I had to move the others out.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
IME the brichardi will eventually take over the tank. I had mine in with some calvus and leleupi, and petricolas.....................now that tank has only brichardi, as I had to move the others out.
The 4 I have now are the only permanent resident Brichardi. Eventually I'll remove all the offspring until we get into a place we own, then I'd like to have a 100+ gallon Tang community, where perhaps a few could remain.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
It's really tough to get a decent pic of these guys, they're all the way in the back corner behind a rock structure. They look just like little white tadpoles. They are clinging to the bottom of the tan rock, just to the left of the large pebble ( that " large pebble " is about 1/4'' ). I'll try to get some better pics later, I don't have the time to wrestle with my camera settings this morning.

IMG_0360.JPG

Last edited:

HomerJay

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't think you'll have too many problems with other fish eating the fry. I had three plecos in my tank with no eyes after my brichardi's first successful breeding attempt. I would be more worried about the other fish in the tank.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Congrats, did most of them hatch/survive? What are you going to feed them?
Still wrigglers today. The clutch was smallish, perhaps 40-50 eggs, it's hard to get a count on the wrigglers, they lay in a pit dug by the parents, and now and then cling to the side of the slate rock they were laid on. I plan on feeding newly hatched brine shrimp and finely crushed flake. This has always worked fine for me, though I have yet to successfully hatch and rear this species. I plan on removing most once they are free swimming and rearing them in a 20 breeder.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I don't think you'll have too many problems with other fish eating the fry. I had three plecos in my tank with no eyes after my brichardi's first successful breeding attempt. I would be more worried about the other fish in the tank.
They are definitely aggressive parents, but they're together with some rough fish, most of which have larger mouths than the Brichardi. So far so good, they are among the smaller fish in the tank, and everybody seems to have gotten the message. I haven't found any damage to any of the rest of the community.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey afro didnt you say that there were calvus in there with them, if so you are so right the calvus are great fry eaters usually just hoover vacuum them right in aye and calvus just manuver side to side as to avoid or retreat from a would be attacker thats why i love em and i have em, later buddy oh yeah i am with you i would remove some of the fry..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store