FINALLY! New 10g tank has begun!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i ust realized i copied you on stocking :) im doing male endlers and RCS. i just got my first endler and he's awesome. he was attacking gold gouramis in the store :) it was so funny, and the reason i got him, and the fact he was free.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Haha that's awesome allabout! It is a good stocking choice, you posted that in time for my new pics (really wish I had a decent camera...) cause I'm finally done stocking the tank. Got my endlers from mjordan on here, but mine are itty-bitty fry, can't WAIT for them to grow bigger and colorful! I had originally planned all male endlers, but with fish that young you never know, who knows it may become a guppy AND RCS breeding tank haha. When I got my RCS I got 8 adults and 2 babies that were smaller than my endler fry. Wish I could get good camera for better pics of the smallest guys, never seen baby shrimp that young before.
Now various pics of my shrimp, tried to get the endlers but they move too fast.

IMG-20111102-00173.jpg IMG-20111103-00185.jpg IMG-20111103-00188.jpg IMG-20111103-00192.jpg IMG-20111103-00195.jpg IMG-20111103-00197.jpg

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
Several reasons for having the filter on the side: 1) there is only a space in the top for the filter on the side in that spot 2) it's ugly (IMO) to have an intake tube and other "mechanical" things hanging out in the middle of the tank, that becomes the focal point 3) it doesn't make a difference in efficiency at all where the filter is in the tank. When you think about it the filter is the only source of suction in the whole tank, therefore the water would be drawn to that one point only and circulates throughout the tank. Having it in the middle would not make a difference because no matter where in the tank it is the debris and water will eventually make its way to the only spot in the tank that draws in water. IDK if that made any sense:eek: but yea...
not exactly true. having the only movement in one corner can lead a "dead" spot in the opposite corner. but if that is the only spot your hood will allow then that is a good excuse. but filtration is more important than cosmetic looks :lipssealedsmilie:

nitrogen15

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
I like your scape! I also have a 10 gallon decorated with black sand and shells, but I'm keeping shell-dweller cichlids in it. Shells are a nice idea for Endlers too, because they can help buffer the pH.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I think if you took out the hole rock and shells, and replaced them with driftwood or more natural looking rock you scape will flow together a bit more nicely.
I just so happen to enjoy it the way it is, I'm not looking for a driftwood look. Also they were a sweet gift from my boyfriend, and I think they make the tank... Thanks for the advice tho

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
not exactly true. having the only movement in one corner can lead a "dead" spot in the opposite corner. but if that is the only spot your hood will allow then that is a good excuse. but filtration is more important than cosmetic looks :lipssealedsmilie:
Well in a 10 gallon tank I don't see a "dead spot" happening too bad and that's why there's such a thing as water changes and gravel vacs. But yea that's where there is a spot on my hood. In fact on my 30 the filter is on the side too, and that tank doesn't have any problems with dead spots, 15 g is an eclipse so that's on the side too... again no problems. But yea, I know

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I like your scape! I also have a 10 gallon decorated with black sand and shells, but I'm keeping shell-dweller cichlids in it. Shells are a nice idea for Endlers too, because they can help buffer the pH.
Thank you! Shellies are cool! That's awesome, what kind of shellies do you have? I kinda liked the shells because they were not driftwood, like everyone else. I understand that its for the "natural" element but compared to a spongebob tank, mine seems pretty natural IMO, not like shells aren't found EVERYWHERE, and I really like the look, even tho it isn'"normal" or as natural looking, normal is boring and un-creative anyway... sorry for the rant. Sorry if I come off as rude :eek: it's been a long day

Last edited by a moderator:

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Again I would recommend more hiding places for your shrimp. You can find some low profile ones so they dont screw with the aesthetics of the tank. But especially after they molt, they need somewhere safe to hide. If you are looking to have a breeding population, they breed right after the female molts, so providing a safe place for that would make them much more inclined. Also, they like to hatch their eggs in hiding rather than in the open, it is better protection for the teeny tiny baby shrimps. I would either make a corner very densely planted or get some cave like things.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I hear you, I am no idiot that doesn't do research. It's not like I'm made of time and money like some people, so I can't just go spend $5 because I want to, even if it benefits my fish (unless its an emergency, then I'll say forget the meal, my fish come first). I'm a broke college student, $5 is an entire meal to me and Macgyver I am not. I am planning on adding things to the tank, but as I said, broke. PG&E bill and new shrimp just broke the bank this week. There are more hiding spots than you can tell just from the pics (between the moss balls, they love that one, behind the rock, beneath the shells, among the anacharis etc.) Please, I am not looking for people to tell me how to improve my tank, I'm simply showing it. I'm not done, just updating because I'm a proud new parent with no one who appreciates fish (besides the bf who isn't here) to share it with. i am going to get more plants, when the money comes around, next week prolly.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store