FINALLY! New 10g tank has begun!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
LOL, I was going to post that the updates look nice but you are a bit testy and now I am scared. :p:

The tank does look really good so far. If you ever get enough money and are looking for a cheap plant/hiding place in addition to what you already have, shriimp love to hide in java moss. You just tie it to something, and it doesn't need high light or fertilizer. RC's really thrive in a jungle-like atmosphere. Just a suggestion, please don't take it personally! :)

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Sorry don't be afraid I don't bite (hard hehe), first thing in the morning is when I read these. Not the best idea, I am a bit testy before my coffee. I just was hoping instead of being like "change your tank" which is fine (advice isn't bad), it would be a positive comment, so I think it just rubbed me the wrong way first thing in the AM (nobody's fault but my own :eek: ).
Java moss eh? I tried it once and failed... it wouldn't attach or grow right and I got frustrated and gave up. Any advice on what to attach it to, where in the tank you think it would look best?
Again I apologize if I seemed snappy :eek:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
No problem, I totally understand! :) You could tie some onto that rock thingy that has the hole in the center. If you have fishing line or clear plastic thread it works great. Rubber bands eventually wear down. The only thing about java moss is it gets bigger and bushier, so you'd need to remove the rock every so often and give it a trim. But my RC's were always hanging out in the java moss, and the babies loved to hide in it. It was their favorite plant in the tank.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Oh that's a great idea! They loooove to hang upside-down in the hole and ridge on that rock as is, why not make it even more awesome for them. Thanks :thm:

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Jeez does NO ONE like my tank?
:) It's not that I dont like the tank, I just put the happiness and health of my creatures before aesthetics. The tank itself looks very nice. It might be nice to have a really open tank so you can see your critters, but not at the expense of their health and happiness. You can still have a pleasing tank and create a safe and happy environment; there are lots of options. Java moss or other carpet plant is a good one, another one is something like this which you can have moss growing from. I have these bamboo caves and my shrimp love them. You'll also get better color and more babies if you keep them feeling comfortable.

nitrogen15

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you! Shellies are cool! That's awesome, what kind of shellies do you have? I kinda liked the shells because they were not driftwood, like everyone else. I understand that its for the "natural" element but compared to a spongebob tank, mine seems pretty natural IMO, not like shells aren't found EVERYWHERE, and I really like the look, even tho it isn't "normal" or as natural looking, normal is boring and un-creative anyway... sorry for the rant. Sorry if I come off as a b***ch :eek: it's been a long day
I'm keeping Neolamprologus multifasciatus, and hoping they mate soon.

It's good that you're thinking about meeting the needs of the fish while pleasing your own aesthetics. They don't care what color the sand is, so black is fine. Shells are a nice decoration, but you may need to shake out the spiral ones from time to time.

I do think your tank is a bit sparse, so growing a floating plant along the top for guppy babies to hide in and having some more moss or grass on the bottom for the shrimp would go a long way. I'm hesitant to use driftwood in guppy tanks because it can lower the pH and tint the water, but caves, rocks and more plants would be good. Some of your plants will produce babies that you can spread around the tank.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i second the java moss idea. i got alot of java moss at my LFS for cheap. it grows pretty fast too. i just put a rock in the middle and let it go, but then it starte growing into my sponge filter lol

haddaj04

AC Members
Sep 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Joe
I like your tank, plus with Endlers and RCS you'll soon have many tanks to be able to support their populations and you can aquascape each one to your heart's content

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Got the java moss in there wrapped around the rock (good amount), once it acclimates and looks a little better I will post pics. $5 for 1/2 palm-full. pretty happy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store