First Saltwater Tank (help needed)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Does the coral have tissue on it or is it a dead skeleton? You have 2 issues. One the tank is cycling and the coral likely won't survive the cycle and two it appears you have a standard fluorescent bulb fixture which is not enough light. Also, while brains don't require a ton of flow I don't think your HOB filter alone is going to cut it from that perspective. If the coral is alive I would return it.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Agreed, return the coral if it's still alive. If not then they do look nice, I have a dozen or so coral skeletons that my Grandparents picked up from around the world. Hope to get the actual corals for them eventually, sort of make everything come full circle.

sboynton

AC Members
Dec 29, 2010
I don't really care if it dies.. as long as it isn't going to do anything to harm the cycling process I'm fine with it in there

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If the coral dies (or slowly disintegrates) it will prolong your cycle as it will produce ammonia. There's your excuse to return it.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Meanie.. :silly:

I could never take an animal and just kill it like that.. way to cruel to me. I love my cats.. and corals.. both are animals.
Well, I can sort of understand it. You wouldn't look at coral and connect it with living creatures... it's more like a plant in appearance and behavior to most people. A buddy of mine actually thought they were just weirdly shaped rocks. Then I showed him a vid of 2 corals fighting over territory and he's been interested ever since :)

The coral will die and cause your cycle to worsen. Best to return it or ask them to hold it for you while your tank cycles.

vera222

AC Members
Apr 5, 2010
I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I decided to browse today... I have to say - if you can make a statement such as "i don't really care if this coral dies" - you shouldn't be in this hobby. For the sake of the animals, find something else to do with your time. I see on forums and have witnessed with my own eyes too many people who don't care, and have zero compassion for these animals. It's disgusting. This isn't collecting cars or stickers or christmas ornaments. You're responsible for the life and well being of animals who were (in many cases) ripped out of their natural habitat and forced to live in a glass box. Your very first priority should be making sure the animals are safe and happy. ugh, i'm so sick of reading ignorant comments from people. There's my rant. Oh and in case you were wondering, I've been in this hobby for two years now and have only lost two fish by an unfortunate accident which was out of my control for the most part. I now have multiple fish and corals and they are all thriving. I hope to have a very large, beautiful reef tank eventually, but as I work my way towards that, my first priority will always remain the health and well being of my fishes and corals.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
this was after 4 weeks of cycling
I hope you were doing water test during the cycle.

The cycle and when you add fish is not determined by time but rather by the water parameters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store