Fish getting worse! What infection does this guy have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
my 90 gallon is doing great after putting the temp to 83 for a week and adding salt. As for my 20 gallon qt rh sd, he is looking much better in terms of capilary damage, but he still has orange brownish spots and they seem to be getting bigger. The ph is now around 7.5 or so for him... I think I'm going to go back to parasite treatment.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I would wait few days before tempting other treatment. Check the water and do pwc as needed basis after treatment is done with antibiotics. If NH3 tend to register, No worrys. Small but frquent water changes will resove it.

Slose-up pics of orangish brown spots possible?

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
sure...

I put some activated carbon in there.. I'm going to stop treating him with that med and go back to the first one i tried.

IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0244.JPG

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I would give first med a fulll treatment (maybe 2nd treatment) + few more days to recover before alternating medcation.
You should give a med adequate time to correct the problems..

Exactly what type & brand name of anitibiotic did you use?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I personally would do 2nd treatment with Kanaplex. Just follow the directions carefully. Perhaps small water changes b/n the treatments. I would consider one full treatment= 3 doses ( 5 days)

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
5 days = 1 complete treatment. How about another full treatment?

I am still thinking spots are related to other symptom rather than parasitc complication.

If memory serves, kanamycin is aminoglycosides(?) thus has amine group attached. As med breaks down, it may produce NH3. For yhis reason, I would test to make sure no NH3 present before starting another full treatment. I would repeat the same procedure with distilled H2O to bring down pH and in lower pH, any possible NH3 which maybe produced during another treatment wont be as harmful/toxic to RH.

Last edited:

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I will give it 1 more 5 day try, but after that its back to the parasitic treatment. The ph and all is way down but I should test ammonia nitrites and nitrates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store