for those considering a cannister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
Well its $18 for me when I put in my zip. The seller is apparently out of California because he states that he must charge sales tax to shipments going to Cali. When I typed in a Cali zip code the shipping is $13 plus sales tax. Your state being NJ is a bit more but still a tad high on the handling charge. Maybe you can find a seller out of NY that should drop the shipping cost.

Here is another seller same item same price for $13 shipping anywhere, total $66. 5300 items with 99.9% reputation cant be all bad LOL.
175Gal BIO CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER use FLUVAL PADS
That is the 31.07 shepper

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Oh wow. I had followed the link but I saw the $69 and not the $55 :) Thanks! I think I need a 4th one, don't you? lol
it's on order lol

shipping for me was $10

zigis

AC Members
Mar 2, 2009
For what it is worth, Yes their filters are made in china. BUT
The lighting sold by catalina is made here in the US.
Better than nothing!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cheap chinese knocks offs are about as good as michael jackson doing jail time.
I am not sure this added much to this thread.

FYI, much of the stuff you see labeled as MFG was actually manufactured in China with specific designs handed to them to copy.

often you will find these 'cheap' Chinese knock off companies parts in the higher priced items.

the point to this is that there are inexpensive alternatives that seem to work well.
this filter is apparently a 'knock-off' of the Eheim..not near the same quality but none the less it works well and is an inexpensive alternative.

this allows new users who do not have a lot of money to purchase a filter that will work fairly well.

at around $60 shipped it is considerably less expensive .

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
When it comes to Chinese knock offs some work great for the money and some are a complete waste of money. So far from what I have seem the main factor as to weather it worth buying or not is the technology factor. The more technology the item requires the more likely it is to fail. I can attest that the Chinese have saved me hundreds on items like auto body tools, hydraulic specialty jacks normally cost hundreds for $50 new. But when it comes to motorcycles and even bicycles the no-name brands are awful. I think the Chinese have probubly got the impeller pump and O-ring canister technology down pat. The only other concern is material durability and whether for $20 more it might be worth buying a well know brand canister with a reputation for lasting 10-20 years without a failed part and 50% resale value as seen on ebay. Will the canister actually end up being around 5 years from now paying for itself over time and still have resale value, or will you not see any of them around anymore, that will be the ultimate test.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Its a pretty simple filter really, just designed incredibly well. I have no doubt that there are a group of folks reverse engineering the FX5 so they can place it on the market and say that it is different and not a clone. Perhaps by simply using larger baskets instead of the patented circumference sponge filters which would be a colossal mistake since that is 80% of what places the FX5 head and shoulders above the competition IMHO. But if they come out with a engineered clone FX5 like the Catalina matching the Eheim, I would definitely buy a clone FX5.

With respect to the subject line Catalina, for $60 shipped you cant go wrong and would defiantly buy one over the original Ehiem since the design characteristics are virtually identical minus the $150 extra, especially since the author has had no issues with 4 so far.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
several have requested updates.

all of my Catalina Filters are still running strong with no issues.

I currently have 4 with thoughts to add more to my tanks.

$$ are the limiting factor.
;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store