for those considering a cannister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
All the Ehiem loyalist need to google this " Eheim Pro II leaking" That extra $150.00 bucks you spend doesn't gurantee it won't develope problems. It's the design of the self priming "button" itself that is at issue. Your adding another rubber O ring seal to the canister, plus it is a moving part (the more you use it the faster it wears). Eventually these will all fail and you have a leaking mess. I would summise that the knock offs will develope the same issues in time, quite possibly sooner.

If you want ease of use for faster priming, how hard is it to use an old, small power head from an UGF system, place it in the tank and direct the output into the intake tube of the canister filter your trying to fill/prime?

Canister filters are quite simple by design, and I really doubt there is much that is patentable that could'nt be circumvented. Ponders have been making their own filters for years, and some of them are quite impressive. For the cost of an Eheim you could make quite a nice canister out of a 10-15 gallon drum, some floor buffer pads and what ever bio-media you choose that would but a beat down on almost any store bought filter. And still have enough left over to purchase a hot magnum or two with the micron filters for crystal clear water.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The same argument could be made about the Fluval series which uses a plunger. These primers are used becasue the motor sits on top of the canister an inharent flaw IMO.

Unlike motors which are at the bottom of the canister or outside the canister self priming occurs like in the Magnum 350, FX5, Ocean Clear, and almost all other sumps and large pond filters.

In defense of these top motor canisters I have to say that once the initial priming is done and the canister in place on the aquarium one should never have to use the priming button / plunger again since the hoses when disconnected hold the prime and fill the canister every time it is returned after cleaning. So one should only be using the priming button / plunger once a year when they clean out their hoses and the primer should last indefinitely unless there is a manufacture defect or a owner doesn't understand they don't have to use it as long as prime is not lost.

I do however love your idea of using a pressure cooker as a canister housing. A great idea if you can find one coated to prevent metal corrosion of the canister and oxide poisoning of the tank especially salt water, and if you could fined a cheap or used one it would make an awesome strong housing for a very strong pump, perhaps it could be coated with silicone paint.

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Good quality stainless wouldn't be a problem but unless you found one used at a pond shop or garage sale with a good seal, a stainless one would cost more then its worth.

Aluminum is not so bad in small quantities but with such are large surface are I wouldn't use it in fresh water unless I sealed it and in salt water I wouldn't take a chance as salt would eat it oxidize it.

If I was serious I would try and find a standard model restaurant size 5-10 gallon stainless pressure cooker in good condition with easy to find parts like the seal. If you could find one surplus for like $20 bucks that would make one heck of a canister filter. Now you have me thinking about one LOL.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Actually, i contacted Catalina.
they are on back order and expected to get new stock in 6 weeks.

I am still running my filters with no issues. easy to clean easy to start up.

I am pleased with the investment.

but always open to new products.

I must say after my experience with canister filters.. i will be moving all my tanks to canisters.

looking at the sunsun product too.

i try to be value minded. ;)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Actually, i contacted Catalina.
they are on back order and expected to get new stock in 6 weeks.

I am still running my filters with no issues. easy to clean easy to start up.

I am pleased with the investment.

but always open to new products.

I must say after my experience with canister filters.. i will be moving all my tanks to canisters.

looking at the sunsun product too.

i try to be value minded. ;)
Well youv proven that you don't have to spend a bundle to buy a filter comparable im performance and dependability to a big brand names at a fraction or the cost. Goodness know Id drop the FX5 and the Magnum 350 like lead filled balloons, if they came out with 1/3 price clones.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I'm glad you brought this thread back up and are still having good luck with it. I'm considering a change to a canister on my 46 gal, and possibly adding a second canister to my 75 gal and taking out the Whisper since it's much noisier than the canister and it tends to get annoying in the background when we're watching movies, since the 75 gal is on the wall right behind where my recliner is at. Do you find that they are still quiet? I am constantly checking my eheim, afraid it isn't running because I cannot ever hear it. I think that is my favorite feature. :) Silence really is golden.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store