From Meds to none - NOW WHAT?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
I didn't realize that Kanamycin & tetracycline were one in the same!

This is when I wish I studied to become Doc instead of Law Enforc - LOL!

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
They are a totally different class of antibiotic. What gave you the idea they are the same?

You can order the good stuff online @ Jehmco if you need to. They deliver very fast.

Good luck with the dips!

I didn't realize that Kanamycin & tetracycline were one in the same!

This is when I wish I studied to become Doc instead of Law Enforc - LOL!

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
"Kivstev's advice is spot on. I didn't mention Kanamycin because I thought it might not be readily available and tetracycline is easy to find."

This was from Mel's post on page 2 to me. I just assumed they were the same thing.
I stand corrected if I read this wrong and assumed that they were.

Going to give baby her bath now - I'm so nervous.....

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
No, Kim, I just knew how hard it was for me to find Kanamycin so that's why I suggested Tetracycline instead. I mentioned that in my last post, but I know you are so fried you probably missed it.

I had the same trouble with Kanamycin and had to order it online and it took a few days. I wasn't in a crisis so I didn't mind the 2 or 3 day wait, but I knew you needed something immediately so I didn't suggest Kanamycin. I was hoping you wouldn't have problems finding the Furan 2, though, because I usually see that at the local Petsmart or Petco, and I always see tetracycline.

Anyway,I'm glad to see your post and to hear that they are still alive at this point. When I didn't see any more posts I was worried.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for the Jehmco link, Kistev.

I wish I could find a good source for Chloramphenicol. My local compounding pharmacy will do the formula and compound about 2ml of the 1% Opthalmic solution for $70. I needed it for my ADF to treat Chytrid. I spend so much on aquatics that my hubby was having a cow at the thought of me spending that much on a $2.99 frog.

She didn't make it with the other methods available.

Sorry for the hijack, Kim. Please keep your chin up and hang in there... we're all pulling for you.

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Ok -
Here's the deal...
I did the bath at 2% out of fear for my fish.
She swam around like nothing, for what seemd like forever...
So I pulled her out after five mins, and gently put her back in the tank,
while holding her gently in my palm...
Now she's stumbling all over the tank....
Being thrown about by the air stones and the filter just darned near sucked
her up....
What do I do now?
I have temporarily placed her in the floating hospital in the tank itself, but this
is gettting crazy....

I'm sorry to EVERYONE if I've mis-spoken, mis-quoted, and/or mis-understood
anything and everything at this point. I've not slept and everything has been about my fish tank -

THAT - And my Aunt was having colon cancer surgery today....

Sorry for the stressed-out "CPT" - I'm NOT normally like this.
In fact, it's the complete opposite of my usual nature when dealing
with crisis... Funny how it's all so different when it's happening in
one's 'own' home...

Any advice from here.... Anyone?

Last edited:

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
To let you's all know -
She died a few minutes ago!
She was so stressed out in the tank, I tried the bath again
at a stronger % and she very quickly turned over.
I returned her to the hospital tank, where she seemed to
recover quite quickly but within minutes was in absolute distress
that I couldn't watch her like that anymore - I since chose to
euthanize her.... and so she's gone now - Here's to 'another'
broken heart!

At this point folks, I don't know what to do about the tank itself.
That, the corydora and one remaining black phantom. Though they're
still alive, I don't think they look so great and I don't know what to do
from here to get my tank back on track, since testings show it's ok.

If anyone has any advice or guidance regarding this part, I'd be so
appreciative for your help....

Maybe I'm supposed to start a new post.... I don't know..... At this
point, whatever.....

Thanks again for everyone's help -
On a good note, my aunt's doing good!
ICU, great pain medication, and NO colostomy bag!!!!! YAHOO!

Best regards,

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm so very sorry

Honey, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

Please don't think for one minute that you misspoke, misquoted or did anything for which you need to apologise.

It disturbs me greatly that you think you have offended anyone here, you have not. Please forgive us if we gave that impression.

Please don't think that you have been anything less than highly esteemed by us all for your deeply caring nature and your desperation to save your fish. You have worked long and hard under difficult circumstances and I think you've shown more courage and composure than many of us could under your circumstances.

I'm so sorry, more than I can say here in a post, that you've had to go through this horrible time; losing your sweet little fish that you have struggled valiantly to save, all the while having to deal with the heartache and worry over your Aunt's devastating illness and surgery.

I'm very sorry that I wasn't here to help... not that I could come up with a solution...nothing any of us offered helped you save her and I wish with all my heart that there had been something that one of us could come up with to help you save her. Sometimes, even with all the best medicines and our best efforts we can't save our sick little creatures.

I'm just sorry we weren't here for moral support at the last. I'm sure other folks were caught up in other things. I had to do a big water change after I posted about a shrimp tank, then I lay down for just a moment and fell asleep. I just woke up a few minutes ago (I've been feeling kinda puny today and I don't usually take a nap) and I came on AC to check on you.

I want you to know that what you did for her was the final act of love and compassion on your part. It was the best thing you could have done. It hurt you but it helped her, and I admire you so much for doing that for her.

I don't know what to advise for the others in the tank. I'm going to review this thread from the beginning to see if I can think of a good course of action. I hope others with more experience, and there are many many others, will check in and offer help. I'm sure that will be the case.
You don't need to start another thread.

If you post and don't get a quick response, then post again to keep bumping this up to the top of the forum.

It is wonderful to hear that your Aunt is doing well after her surgery. I'm so grateful that this is the case. You and your Aunt will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep your chin up.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I think I would try to bring the main tank up, gradually, to about a .5% salinity. That's 1/2 tsp of salt per each gallon the tank holds. Dissolve thoroughly in tankwater that is the same temperature as the tank. Add slowly. Then if they don't show any signs of distress, the next day you might bring the salinity up another .5 to 1%.

It may help somewhat in controlling the spread of the illness, but I would also begin another course of antibiotic treatment along with that.

Where do you live, Kim? Do you think you can find some Furan 2 tomorrow? I have extra Kanamycin I would send you but even if I overnight it to you it won't get there until Monday, but if you could find the two meds locally that would be quickest.

Kivstev mentioned that you could try Jungle Labs Fungus Clear,which is easy to find. WalMart even usually always has it.

It's cheap and has has a combo of antibiotics that are good. It comes in a tablet that fizzes. Each tab treats 10 gallons. I dissolved it in tank water before adding to the tank, so I could stir it and make sure everything has dissolved. I used it for septicemia and finrot, which it cured, but it is supposed to be good for Columnaris, too.

At this point I think that if you can't find Furan or Furan2/Kanamycin combo then I'd get the Jungle Labs Fungus Clear ASAP.

Keep us posted, and once you have the Fungus Clear and have questions please post anytime. I'll try to check early tomorrow to see how things are going.

I'm so hoping things will get better for you, soon.

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Good morning/afternoon Mel - And g'day to everyone else!
WOW!
I guess great minds think alike -
First off, I did another water change this morning, and ran out right after to get the Jungle Fungus Tabs. I was thinking last night, while lying there sleepless, that it was the only option that I really had left....I just finished pulling water from the tank, disolving two tabs and tossing water back in, and then thought I'd check here...

I hadn't received many, if any responses last night so I was rather down with all that had happened.

Please don't feel bad for anything, and do know that I'm so grateful for all you wrote today (in the night) for it made me feel so much better just now.... I so appreciate your kind words and the thought that someone's thinking of me, has made me smile. Like big - So THANK YOU!!!

Quick question(s)
My tank is now GREEN - Tell me it's supposed to be, please?
I DID NOT add salt - Should I still add salt to the tank?
It's a 20g and all that's left in there now is one black phantom and
my one corydora, so salt? Yes? NO?

Should I keep doing water changes daily?
And I keep the Carbon section out of my filter until when?

Sorry to be such a pain, but if you CAN help,
I'd REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, like TOTALLY appreciate
that and YOU forever ;`)

I'll check back in a bit -
'Til then,
Smiles and chuckles.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store