Gah! I hate counting otos!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
See, this is why all my danios are different colors! the only ones I have doubles of are regular zebras and long-finned leopards, and 2 isn't hard to count. I can't possibly imagine keeping track of 10 danios otherwise!

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
i just got 4 for my 75g and i dont seem to be able to find them all. They also dont seem to be eating a lot of algae but maybe thats because they are not settled in yet.

kog

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
NZ
do these go well with other fish or will they suck at their slime coats?

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
lol thats hard but try to find them in a 20 high bio tope with lots of catappa leaves and tanins i just had to do it i only found one. lol

and to kog yes there good with other fish as long as the other fish dont eat them their perfect for community tanks my onion buddy.

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
I am soooo glad I am not the only one that does this!!! I have only been able to find two of my four otos the last couple of days and was fearing the worst. The littlest one loves to try and keep up with the rasboras, so I always know where that one is!!
My tank was just started about 2 months ago, so the plants haven't filled in completely. I STILL can't find the little boogers!!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Yup! Just about the time I'm resolved to the fact that one of them has died cause I can't find it and for sure I've look really good many times....it shows up!:)

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
All these replies are making me feel better! I'm hoping he's still in there.
But what's worrying me is that it was never TOO difficult for me to count all 9 in the past. Until last week, all of a sudden I could only count 8.
The one that's missing is from my newest batch. He was in QT last month, and he's only been in the main tank for a few weeks. I know they are notoriously delicate, especially in the first month so, so it's possible he died. And if he died, then I'm sure my barbs took care of the body.
What's really bugging me is the possibility that the barbs KILLED him :eek3:
They killed a juvenile platy once, but it was pretty small.
The only time they compete for food with the otos is when I put zucchini in the tank. I have this nightmare vision of the little oto minding his own business, chilling on the zucchini, and then a barb comes up and bites his head off. :help:
Do you guys think the barbs would do that? I can deal with the idea that he died of natural (and hopefully non-contagious) causes--but I can't deal with the idea that he was healthy and then murdered!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store