Gah! I hate counting otos!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
when oto's die, it is usually because of they way they are caught and then kept in the store. They are usually almost starved to death when you get them. The methods for catching them are pretty horrible, from what I hear, but I won't go there. It's possible it was eaten, but they are A LOT faster than you think, and faster than many other fish. They are also REALLY good at hiding. I would bet that it is hiding someplace.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
how big was this oto?
I believe he was full-grown. All of my otos are between 1.25 and 1.5 inches. And the barbs aren't much bigger. They're the long-finned variety, and are between 2.5 and 3.5 inches, including their tails.

when oto's die, it is usually because of they way they are caught and then kept in the store. They are usually almost starved to death when you get them. The methods for catching them are pretty horrible, from what I hear, but I won't go there. It's possible it was eaten, but they are A LOT faster than you think, and faster than many other fish. They are also REALLY good at hiding. I would bet that it is hiding someplace.
I hope you're right! My newest batch were all skinny when I got them, but they really fattened up in QT. They all seemed really healthy. No one seemed to be sick before #9 disappeared.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Are their fins up? oto's clamp their fins if they are even kinda almost alittle stressed.

what do yall feed yours? i cant seem to get mine to eat anything.
they can be really finniky. It depends on that single fish. Some eat zuchinni, some cucumber, some peas, some spinach, some anything cooked and green, and some only algae. Some won't even eat algae wafers. If you have some of these last ones, put some large gravel or pebbles, alot - more than a handful - in a container of tank water and set it in the sun. Algae will grow on the rocks, and you have instant (well after several days) oto food.

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
yeah im doing that they just look thin and iv tried cooking all the vegis in my house now im trying to get algea my tank wont grow it i think it was my catappa leaves.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Have you completely cleaned out the tank? I've found them after months of not seeing them.
Yes, I removed all my fish a few months ago for a complete tank overhaul. At that point I had only two of the originals left. Now I'm down to only one, from what I can tell. I couldn't get them to adjust well to fresh veggies, so I'm assuming the others died of starvation and their bodies were consumed by my other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store