Gasping Lion and Tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, the tang had a spasm last night, and died. The lion is still alive this morning--he's orienting better, and not gasping as much, so we'll cross our fingers and hope.

There isn't anyway for the cats to knock anything into the tanks--the sump is covered, and all the tanks are contained within the canopy and stand, no access. The fish were both swimming around and fine yesterday morning, so I'm just stumped if the single volt isn't to blame.

Oakley

You haven't seen me.
Dec 31, 2003
Brighton England
Visit site
Sorry to hear that OG, just wish i could help you out in some way, you are always there for me and all the others when help is needed, keeping my fingers crossed for the lion.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
The single volt in of itself is not what the cocern would be but rather the current in the system. Even now though if you just put grouding probes in, it would still be prudent to determine where your electricity leak is.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yeah, did that--it's in the powerheads. They're being replaced when the new tanks get setup. I'm just stumped by this--ATJ over at Reefcentral indicates that voltage is more prone to causing a host chronic problems, rather than serious, specific symptom like this. :shake:

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Well there are really only two things that electricity can do to an organism either cause burns or interfere with electrical synapse firing. Usually it’s the hearts electrical field that is affect but I guess that other muscle or neurological aspects could be affected. The note on the burns though is that these could be any where external or internal.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
In order to affect excitability or synaptic function, a field would have to be pretty whopping, especially in saltwater. As OrionGirl says, weak electric fields are supposedly associated with chronic problems, like HLLE. Even then, the evidence is pretty scarce. Although I can't come up with anything better, I am not convinced that the voltage was to blame.

I'm glad to hear the lion is perking up, though. Hope it pulls through.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope, they can't do that. The spines release a toxin only when you make contact with them, and requires a bit more than just contact. I've had my hand brushed with the tip of the spine and not reacted in any way. I'm hoping he's in good shape when I get home this afternoon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store