Gasping Lion and Tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The lion died. Insert inappropriate for a family board words.

And, the mandarin is acting funny, now as well.

Whole string of them words.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
More of those words from here. That's awful.

Have you tried throwing a bag of carbon in?

Just thinking that maybe the bad powerhead leaked something. Don't ask me why it would get the fish one by one.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'm so sorry O.G. and I wish that there was something I could do besides guess. Have you gotten any new foods/products lately? I'd also ask about your dsb but, you know how hydrogen sulfide smells . There has to be some pathogen in your water I'd do an emergency water change and see if that helps. Again I'm sorry to have to guess especially since you're always there for us!
Best of luck
chris
:(

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Real long shot but I was reading an article the other day on the affect of viruses on common pets. One of which was aquarium pets it seems that we quite often introduce virses to our pets they would have never encountered in the wild and may or may not affect them. Just thinking out lound wish I could be more help but not really sure. I did send some emails to a fe marine biologist freinds of mine I will let you know if they have anything useful for you Orion. Sorry

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, the mandarin is still alive. Still breathing heavy, and he's lost some of his slime coat (mandarins always have thick, heavy slime coats, making them resitant to parasites, normally), and no one else is struggling. The mandarin is in my 10 for now--he's not eating, but there's about 2 days worth of copopods if he decides to try, and he will take prepared foods, so should be okay for now.

The reef was torn down last night to remove all the fish, and they are all (including the trigger) currently in a 50, being medicated for parasites. Lacking any other symptoms, despite no known vector, this seemed the most likely possible cause. So far they are all active and behaving normally--the damsel got nipped by the trigger, but that's the only conflict thus far. The main tank inverts and corals are still thriving--xenia pulsing, colts out and happy, etc.

It's been a rough couple days--didn't get to bed until after midnight last night, since the meds came from Ft Collins. Spent most of today tearing apart the water storage system to clean it out, just in case, and trying to normal weekend household chores as well.

On the plus side, tearing the reef apart uncovered a very large red brittle star never seen before. Must have been a hitch hiker many moons ago that thrived. Also found some nifty sponges, and several smaller brittles.

Thanks for the support, all!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
OG-
I hope everything is going well with the remaining fish. I know how it feels when something happens to your tank and loose everything. So I have my fingers crossed so you do not have to go through that.
Please keep us updated. How is the mandarin doing?

jim

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The mandarin died yesterday. It had a spasm similar to the tengs, and died within seconds. Sigh.

All the other fish are still in the hospital tank, and are in great shape. Active, hungry, etc. Still no clue what happened to the three that died. The coral in the reef are still open and feeding, healthy. Ditto for the inverts--blood shrimp, crabs, snails, hermits, stars; every one looks and behaves as though nothing is wrong. :scratch: Other than the speed of decline, it looks like a parasite, simply by symptoms, but what wouldn't hit the other fish as well? The speed looks like a toxin, but what would hit just those 3 fishh and not the other fish and corals? Even conditions such as low oxygen levels would hit the corals hard. I'm stumped.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Lame theory #27: red tide.

Twitching then dying sounds a lot like a neurotoxin. What if something spawned and the eggs or larvae were toxic? If it was something like saxitoxin, which blocks ion channels in nerve cells, then the fish would be affected but corals would be immune. Some of the fish injested whatever it was, then it went away, leaving the others unaffected. Of course, the 3 fish that died had totally different eating habits.

So far, my theories have batted around 0.00, I don't expect this to be different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store