Getting new fish for my birthday!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I'd add some spirulina to the food gel.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I have it in there...can't seem to find just powder cheap here, but walmart has some pretty natural capsules I can snip open.

Also, here is my tentative gel food ingredient list:
1 cup API pellets, presoaked in one cup of water
1/2 cup daphnia
1 cup Romaine lettuce
1 cup kale
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup broccoli
1 sheet of Seaweed (Sally's Seaweed Salad, 100% natural dried Porphyra yezoensis seaweed)
4 containers of peas&carrots baby food
1/2 green bell pepper
1 tsp basil
3 tbsp canned pumpkin
Insides of 1 spirulina capsule (spring valley brand?)
4 tbsp agar agar/4 packets unflavored gelatin

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Well I'll see how he swims and take out stuff if I need to then. I'm worried mostly about the spaces in between decor and tank walls, and all the holes for the fish to swim through in the driftwood cave and grey rock thing, also the ledges in the driftwood. I'll post a picture in a minute. Also, speaking of gel food, look what I found: Nutritional Analysis of Gelatin (7 g serving)* Calories - 23.4 (from protein) Animal Protein - 6 g Folate - 2.1 mcg Choline - 2.7 mg Calcium 3.9 mg Iron - 0.1 mg Magnesium - 1.5 mg Phosphorus - 2.7 mg Potasium - 1.1 mg Sodium - 13.7 mg Copper - 0.2 mg Selenium - 2.8 mcg Ash - 0.1 g Nutritional Analysis of Agar-agar (7 g serving)* Calories - 21.4 Carbohydrates - 5.65 g Omega-3 Fatty Acids - 6.15 mg Omega-6 Fatty Acids - 0.28 mg Vegetable Protein - 0.5 g Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) - 0.35 mg Vitamin K - 1.7 mcg Riboflavin - 0.03 mg Niacin - 0.03 mg Vitamin B6 - 0.03 mg Folate - 40.5 mcg Choline - 4.43 mg Calcium - 43.8 mg Iron - 1.5 mg Magnesium - 54 mg Phosphorus - 3.7 mg Potasium - 78.8 mg Sodium - 7.15 mg Copper - 0.05 mg Selenium - 0.53 mcg Ash - 0.28 g This info is from the USDA. Looks like I may want to use agar agar then, since it has less copper for the snails, and is more nutritious? This is a cool link I found helping to pick out ingredients too. :) http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/Formulating_DIY_Homemade_Tropical_Fish_Food_Nutrition.html
What!?!?!?! All of the sites I looked at recommended gelatin for snello (snail jello), and there were a few that mentioned agar agar containing copper, so avoid it. What the heck? Well, apparently, it isn't enough copper to bother snails? Because the serious snail breeders feed that stuff exclusively. I keep agar agar in the house, because I am a vegetarian, and I use it to make veggie jello, milkshakes, and a few other things. Looks like it would be good to switch the recipe to the agar agar because of the higher nutrient content, less copper, and to use as an adult formula for the fish, when I'm not supplementing a little additional protein to boost growth. Good catch, there, Jess! Thanks for sharing. The recipe you have looks great, too!

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Ok, first of all, let me say your tank looks beautiful! I really like it! You were asking about places the little pearlscale could get stuck, and I would look at the areas that have the little caves down low close to the sand, and don't provide much room to turn, if caught underneath, places that make tight corners, and possibly in the little corners behind the 2 big rock formations that are going at an angle. Mostly the places that make tight corners, and the little pockets under the decor pieces and close to the sand, though. Wait until he gets there, and see just how flippy he is, though. If he doesn't actually go cartwheeling around when turning, or tipping down to eat- it might not even be a problem. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that when the goldies reach adult size, you very well may have to take out a lot of the decor, as they will get big, very round, and not so maneuverable- you have a good chance that some of your bigger pieces will get in the way of them being able to swim in there. BUUUUUUT, that is at least a year off, so, no real worries for a long time. Enjoy your tank, and, if you need to make any changes as time passes, do what you gotta do! (which you totally would do, anyways. Because you're an awesome goldie mom.) :D

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Where do you get your agar agar? I doubt target or walmart have it, and the only other place I could think of is maybe one of our local grocery store's organic/healthy section. Any tips? I'd rather do the agar agar, now that I've compared stuff, but I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to end up doing gelatin instead because it's easier to find. And do my portions look like the consistency will turn out ok?

Thanks!!! The four big pieces came from the previous owner of the tank, but other than that stupid grey log, I really like them, and so do the fish (Though batman has decided he must shimmy through every hole on his side....even when he has plenty of room. What a goof!), especially Sammi, my big scaredy cat. We feed in the corner by the cave and she always hides in there when she's grabbed a couple pellets and is chewing, and tries to wiggle under the driftwood when the lights come on at first. And they both love the space in the back to hide, especially in the corners between the sponge filters and plants. Though the fact that they hide like that makes me concerned that, with how empty in stock the tank is right now, they feel scared of all the space. It's still better than the ten gallon though!!!

I'm thinking to block off some of the lower holes, I might get one or two more of those baby hideout things that's in front of the grey rocks. They blocked off the smaller holes down there pretty well, and are fairly stiff for a plastic plant, so it's not like it can just be brushed aside. It comes with two little trios of the plants, And I'm thinking maybe if I put one in front of the bottom hole in the cave, that will block off most of it and he shouldn't be able to get to it, and that way Batman and Sammi can still use it. I could also put one in front of the lowest hole in the right hand side of the driftwood.

I'm going to have to take out ALLLLL those big pieces when they get bigger. It just takes up room they could be swimming in, and it's not like they could have fun swimming through the holes anymore. I'll have to figure out what I want to do with my tank then...just a bunch of plastic plants is pretty boring.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Agar agar can be found at most health food stores, or you can order it from amazon. Gonna give you the heads up, though, compared to gelatin- it is crazy expensive. I think you will need more gelatin for your food. Basically, find out how many cups everything makes when pureed together, add 1/2 cup for the water to dissolve the gelatin in that estimate, and then double the amount of gelatin added to make an equivalent amount of regular jello. So, for jello, which takes 4 cups of total water- you add 4 packets of gelatin- or 1 pack per cup... I would add 2 packs per cup for the gel food. Since you're likely going to have to puree the ingredients you have (I second the recommendation of an immersion/ stick blender), You could just go with (thawed) frozen peas and carrots, which would be cheaper, and skip the baby food. You'll have to add more water to the mix to get everything to puree- start with 1/2 cup, and add a little more at a time up to 1 cup, if needed, until you get a consistency like pudding. If you use agar agar, the amount you add will be different depending on if you get flakes or powder, too. 1- 1 1/2 tsp powder= about 1 tbsp flakes. It takes a while of playing around with it to get it right, and can vary some from batch to batch of agar agar that you get. Generally, 2 tbsp flakes per cup, or 2- 3 tsp powder per cup for the gel food.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Nice fish selection, Star! ( and happy birthday, too!) I have heard nothing but super things about Raingarden. If I had room for another goldie tank, I would have some of their bubble eyes.

Jamie is right, you are a very good goldie mom! :) (So is she-- we goldie lovers have to stick together!!)

Anniegump

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
I would take all the decor that has holes in them big enough for them to swim through. The goldfish will find them and they will get stuck in them. My sister just had this happen to her the other day. It wasn't a new piece and had been there before the fish. And yes it was always swimming though it. Then it happened, it got stuck, but lucky enough it was caught in time before it died. So just to be safe I would have decor but nothing that they could swim through :)

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Agar agar can be found at most health food stores, or you can order it from amazon. Gonna give you the heads up, though, compared to gelatin- it is crazy expensive. I think you will need more gelatin for your food. Basically, find out how many cups everything makes when pureed together, add 1/2 cup for the water to dissolve the gelatin in that estimate, and then double the amount of gelatin added to make an equivalent amount of regular jello. So, for jello, which takes 4 cups of total water- you add 4 packets of gelatin- or 1 pack per cup... I would add 2 packs per cup for the gel food. Since you're likely going to have to puree the ingredients you have (I second the recommendation of an immersion/ stick blender), You could just go with (thawed) frozen peas and carrots, which would be cheaper, and skip the baby food. You'll have to add more water to the mix to get everything to puree- start with 1/2 cup, and add a little more at a time up to 1 cup, if needed, until you get a consistency like pudding. If you use agar agar, the amount you add will be different depending on if you get flakes or powder, too. 1- 1 1/2 tsp powder= about 1 tbsp flakes. It takes a while of playing around with it to get it right, and can vary some from batch to batch of agar agar that you get. Generally, 2 tbsp flakes per cup, or 2- 3 tsp powder per cup for the gel food.
Maybe this is just my post-work brain not functioning, but I have no idea what you just said.

Nice fish selection, Star! ( and happy birthday, too!) I have heard nothing but super things about Raingarden. If I had room for another goldie tank, I would have some of their bubble eyes.

Jamie is right, you are a very good goldie mom! :) (So is she-- we goldie lovers have to stick together!!)
Thank you! I'm super excited for them, even though the pearlscale is going to be a bit extra work. Next Friday can't come fast enough!!!

I LOVE RAINGARDEN! Not only do they have spectacular fish, but Steve is so helpful and patient with all my questions. I'm maxed out on stock now, maybe room for one more (anyone have opinions on that, btw??), but if I get another goldie tank or get that one extra fish/upgrade to the 125 I want, almost ALL my stock will be through him. He also has the best DOA guarantee I've seen, and takes care to quarantine them before shipping. WONDERFUL site for anyone who's looking for goldies, and well worth the extra money I think, especially if you live in places like me, where there is just NO local selection. :)

Thank you for the birthday wishes (it's after midnight, I'm 20 now, woooohoooo!), and the compliment. I try to take care of them as best I can, they are definitely my finkids. They just make me so happy, and it's so wonderful to find a hobby that I am really passionate about and one that's so rewarding.

I would take all the decor that has holes in them big enough for them to swim through. The goldfish will find them and they will get stuck in them. My sister just had this happen to her the other day. It wasn't a new piece and had been there before the fish. And yes it was always swimming though it. Then it happened, it got stuck, but lucky enough it was caught in time before it died. So just to be safe I would have decor but nothing that they could swim through :)
The two I have now, there's no holes even remotely small enough to get stuck in, but I'll have to reevaluate when the new ones get here. It's one thing to see pictures and be told it's so-and-so inches long, but another entirely to see it in the tank and compare it with the decor. I'll definitely take your advice into account though. Thanks! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store