Getting new fish for my birthday!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Ok, so I just spent like the last hour and a half on amazon looking at aquarium decor....EVERYTHING has holes, unless I want to get the buddha statues or something like that. I'm really preferring the natural look or maybe like an atlantis theme (our living room where the tank is is nautical/beachy decor...or will be once I actually finish it, lol!). But every castle, cave, ruins, and rock is full of holes!!! What the heck guys!? My other idea was maybe a subtley asian theme, with some bonsai style plants and those mountainous resin decorations with little bonsais and stuff growing out of it. Heck there's even a multi piece great wall of China I like, though it would be reeeeeeally expensive. I just don't know what to do for decor when it's like ALL potentially dangerous!!! Just plastic plants is boring, and it's not like I can do some awesome looking planted aquascape with goldies, even if I WAS into plants, and I'm totally not. HELPPPPPP!

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Bump

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Anyone?

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_2/food.htm
I wrote this article a while ago, but it could still work for you :)

The convenience of baby food can't be beat. Many recipes have simply that ingredient and water - nothing more - so there is not a lot of guesswork. Using a Pyrex cup and the microwave makes it practically effortless! I recommend soaking in hot water and suds anything you use to prepare gel food, unless you have a dishwasher ;)

When I had two black moors I used to make them gel food often. Now that I just have the one, I mostly stick to fresh veggies, either parboiled or as is...although I have mine taking a summer vacation in an outdoor mini pond. The combination of sunlight, plants and natural algae is working wonders!

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
What's the budget looking like for this project?
As cheap as possible ideally and probably not over $100. I realize that the bigger pieces are more expensive. I'd love to spend like $50 if I can.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_2/food.htm
I wrote this article a while ago, but it could still work for you :)

The convenience of baby food can't be beat. Many recipes have simply that ingredient and water - nothing more - so there is not a lot of guesswork. Using a Pyrex cup and the microwave makes it practically effortless! I recommend soaking in hot water and suds anything you use to prepare gel food, unless you have a dishwasher ;)

When I had two black moors I used to make them gel food often. Now that I just have the one, I mostly stick to fresh veggies, either parboiled or as is...although I have mine taking a summer vacation in an outdoor mini pond. The combination of sunlight, plants and natural algae is working wonders!
Staying with baby food will definitely be convenient!!! Unfortunately most of my ingredients I didn't see in baby food form. :( I did find this blender though that also comes with a food processor thingy and an electric knife. Not necessarily necessary, but handy! Who knows though I may add more in. I think I will be sticking with the gelatin over the agar agar cause it's cheaper and apparently snails have been doing fine on it forever, and I made sure I have at least one thing from all the major vitamins and nutrients, so the nutritional value shouldn't be a huge deal. AAAAAAND we DO have a dishwasher, so SCORE! Thanks Platytudes!

Not sure I'm a big fan of the sea shells, but I'm not opposed to driftwood. I just figured fish could get stuck in the branches or what have you. I'm almost getting to the point where I'm ready to just stick a freaking huge buddha statue right in the middle, call it minimalism, and give up!

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Not sure I'm a big fan of the sea shells, but I'm not opposed to driftwood. I just figured fish could get stuck in the branches or what have you. I'm almost getting to the point where I'm ready to just stick a freaking huge buddha statue right in the middle, call it minimalism, and give up!
I have a big buddha head in my tank- and a cool dragon bubbler. The dragons aren't expensive, either. I kinda like that look. ;) http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752280 they have them in the store, so you wouldn't have to pay crazy shipping... mine is the small stand up one, but the big laying down one would look pretty cool as a focal in the center of the tank, with plants around it, or something. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752278&lmdn=SHOP+FOR It is definitely a decent size.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
1 cup API pellets, presoaked in one cup of water (I have tried adding pellets to gel food, and it just doesn't work out well. Flakes, on the other hand, seem to work ok...I have used Spirulina flakes before. Also I'm not sure if boiling will allow the food to still keep it's nutritional value, and it might alter the taste. [You are going to be boiling this mixture, right? There is no other way it will bind with the gelatin, and you're going to need to add water.] If you're going to feed exclusively gel food, I can see why you'd want to include commercial food, but if it's a supplement, I wouldn't worry.)

1/2 cup daphnia (Like, live daphnia? Egh, I don't know...and freeze dried will make a mess, let me tell you!)

1 cup Romaine lettuce (You can't boil lettuce, it just won't work.)

1 cup kale (Kale is great, spinach is good too. I can never seem to buy kale in a reasonable amount, always some giant bag - but spinach you can get by the bunch.)

1 teaspoon garlic (Yep, I usually get the already minced kind.)

1 cup broccoli (Broccoli doesn't give up and emulsify very easily, it's going to make large specks in your food at best...which will make a mess in your tank if they are not all consumed. Have you tried feeding them broccoli before?)

1 sheet of Seaweed (Sally's Seaweed Salad, 100% natural dried Porphyra yezoensis seaweed) (Seaweed is great, but not in gel food. Again, it doesn't mix. Try giving them seaweed alone, they'll like it! I usually weigh down strips in the tank with a plastic clothespin. I just use the kind from the grocery store, nori.)

4 containers of peas&carrots baby food (That's good, there's lots of other flavors they like too! Mine loved butternut squash, for some reason.)

1/2 green bell pepper (Don't use this, really. It's too hard, and fish don't usually like it. I'm not sure why you'd want to use it...red pepper is supposed to be a color enhancer, back in the old days people would feed them pimento, but we don't really need to do that any longer! If anything, use paprika as a color enhancer.)

1 tsp basil (Fish won't really appreciate this creative culinary addition, I don't think.)

3 tbsp canned pumpkin (Hmm...maybe. I'd combine canned pumpkin with other "squashy" things, personally, and leave it out of this recipe.)

Insides of 1 spirulina capsule (spring valley brand?) (I'm not sure about this, I haven't read about using human supplements. Is the only ingredient Spirulina? I use garlic oil on my fish, but the ingredients are just cold pressed garlic and soybean oil or something like that.)

4 tbsp agar agar/4 packets unflavored gelatin

Any tips or suggestions for additions/subtractions?

I think you're making it too complicated :) Try just sticking with a few ingredients at first. You want this to blend smoothly. If it's coarse and lumpy it will make a mess in you're tank. The smoother the ingredients, the easier you're going to be able to stir the lumps out of the gelatin, too.

There's lots of recipes here:
http://thegab.org/Goldfish/gelfoodrecipes.html (the formatting is all a mess, but the links are to the left of the chart)
http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/Food.htm

There's a ton more, some of them are kind of "out there" if you ask me.

The savory things like spinach, kale, green beans, are best kept together, IMO. You can also make some sweeter gel food with stuff like sweet potatoes, corn, pumpkin, carrots.

All of these websites that say to use mackerel, sardine, tuna, etc....I'm not sure. Personally, I prefer to make the gel food vegetarian. Fish do love an oyster packed in water for a treat, but oily fish like sardine and mackerel just don't seem like a good fit combined with gel foods made of vegetables that are mostly water...since oil and water don't mix!

You will really quickly get discouraged and stop feeding this stuff it pollutes your tank, so try to make it as clean as possible. Keeping it simple also means you'll be able to recreate it easily :)

One tip - before I used baby food, I always ended up with a HUGE batch. I couldn't get too many people interested in feeding it to their fish, either, so a lot of it had to get thrown away because it got frost bitten before it got used up. Try to keep the batches small, if you can. They only last maybe two months before they get...not spoiled, but the fish won't like them as much anymore, they get frost on them and it seems to make them get kind of dehydrated.

Last edited:

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I have a big buddha head in my tank- and a cool dragon bubbler. The dragons aren't expensive, either. I kinda like that look. ;) http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752280 they have them in the store, so you wouldn't have to pay crazy shipping... mine is the small stand up one, but the big laying down one would look pretty cool as a focal in the center of the tank, with plants around it, or something. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752278&lmdn=SHOP+FOR It is definitely a decent size.
Not sure about dragons, but I really like the idea of a bubbler! I'm all about looking pretty AND being functional. Lol. I need to figure out a theme or something so I'm not being so wishy washy about this. Or maybe just find one or two pieces I LOVE and build around that.

1 cup API pellets, presoaked in one cup of water
(I have tried adding pellets to gel food, and it just doesn't work out well. Flakes, on the other hand, seem to work ok...I have used Spirulina flakes before. Also I'm not sure if boiling will allow the food to still keep it's nutritional value, and it might alter the taste. [You are going to be boiling this mixture, right? There is no other way it will bind with the gelatin, and you're going to need to add water.] If you're going to feed exclusively gel food, I can see why you'd want to include commercial food, but if it's a supplement, I wouldn't worry.)
I'm adding it as a good protein base. 99% of the recipes I saw also used pre-soaked pellets that they mushed up, along with Jamie's recipe I believe, and I think it will help thicken up the texture as well. I think I still have their old flakes but I wasn't impressed with the nutritional content once I took the time to look at it.

My plan was to boil any veggies that needed softening etc. or if I buy anything frozen. Blend everything minus gelatin/water together until it's soupy, then boil the water and stir in the gelatin, and then mix that into the veggie, etc. mix and pour into the pan. That seemed to be a pretty common method on all the tutorials I watched.

1/2 cup daphnia (Like, live daphnia? Egh, I don't know...and freeze dried will make a mess, let me tell you!
It is freeze dried. I could probably leave this out, but I thought maybe a little extra protein would be nice. My fish are still pretty small still and aren't really growing like I had hoped they would on the move to the new tank, so I wanna boost growth if possible. If it really makes a mess though, I'll skip it.

1 cup Romaine lettuce (You can't boil lettuce, it just won't work.)

1 cup kale (Kale is great, spinach is good too. I can never seem to buy kale in a reasonable amount, always some giant bag - but spinach you can get by the bunch.)
Good to know. Would I be able to freeze kale to make it last longer??

1 teaspoon garlic (Yep, I usually get the already minced kind.)
That's the plan!!! :)

1 cup broccoli (Broccoli doesn't give up and emulsify very easily, it's going to make large specks in your food at best...which will make a mess in your tank if they are not all consumed. Have you tried feeding them broccoli before?)
I was thinking about that, too. I may see if I can find baby food broccoli or a broccoli mixture.

1 sheet of Seaweed (Sally's Seaweed Salad, 100% natural dried Porphyra yezoensis seaweed) (Seaweed is great, but not in gel food. Again, it doesn't mix. Try giving them seaweed alone, they'll like it! I usually weigh down strips in the tank with a plastic clothespin. I just use the kind from the grocery store, nori.)
If I soak it, it should break up pretty well I think. The fish tear it pretty easily after a minute in the water, so I'm thinking a blender should have no problem with it. I have a veggie clip where they get seaweed normally, but I WOULD like to make this they're everyday food with maybe a treat here and there. They LOVE cucumber, and that's something not in the recipe, and I eat it like crazy, so I can give them a piece now and then.

4 containers of peas&carrots baby food (That's good, there's lots of other flavors they like too! Mine loved butternut squash, for some reason.)
Good to know! I may add a few other flavors of baby food, not sure yet though.

1/2 green bell pepper (Don't use this, really. It's too hard, and fish don't usually like it. I'm not sure why you'd want to use it...red pepper is supposed to be a color enhancer, back in the old days people would feed them pimento, but we don't really need to do that any longer! If anything, use paprika as a color enhancer.)
I picked this for it's vitamin content. I'll post a link to the chart I used to pick most of my ingredients. I made sure I got something from every category, and this was one thing it recommended. If I boil it, and then blend it, would it be soft enough do you think??

1 tsp basil (Fish won't really appreciate this creative culinary addition, I don't think.)
Also picked for it's nutritional content. Though I've heard of people using thai fish sauce for flavor, which I think is weird.

3 tbsp canned pumpkin (Hmm...maybe. I'd combine canned pumpkin with other "squashy" things, personally, and leave it out of this recipe.)
Jamie recommended this to me and it was also on that list I mentioned. I saw it in quite a few other recipes too. It's another color additive. I may add a sweet potato or butternut squash baby food too. I just haven't decided yet. Work has been crazy this week, so I just haven't been able to put more time and researching into it.

Insides of 1 spirulina capsule (spring valley brand?) (I'm not sure about this, I haven't read about using human supplements. Is the only ingredient Spirulina? I use garlic oil on my fish, but the ingredients are just cold pressed garlic and soybean oil or something like that.)
It was spirulina and like one or two other types of algae. I was really surprised but I could find just like spirulina flakes around here.

4 tbsp agar agar/4 packets unflavored gelatin

Any tips or suggestions for additions/subtractions?

I think you're making it too complicated :) Try just sticking with a few ingredients at first. You want this to blend smoothly. If it's coarse and lumpy it will make a mess in you're tank. The smoother the ingredients, the easier you're going to be able to stir the lumps out of the gelatin, too.

There's lots of recipes here:
http://thegab.org/Goldfish/gelfoodrecipes.html (the formatting is all a mess, but the links are to the left of the chart)
http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/Food.htm

There's a ton more, some of them are kind of "out there" if you ask me.

The savory things like spinach, kale, green beans, are best kept together, IMO. You can also make some sweeter gel food with stuff like sweet potatoes, corn, pumpkin, carrots.

All of these websites that say to use mackerel, sardine, tuna, etc....I'm not sure. Personally, I prefer to make the gel food vegetarian. Fish do love an oyster packed in water for a treat, but oily fish like sardine and mackerel just don't seem like a good fit combined with gel foods made of vegetables that are mostly water...since oil and water don't mix
I saw this too....definitely wasn't crazy about the idea either. That's one reason I added the pellets as well, for that protein base.

You will really quickly get discouraged and stop feeding this stuff it pollutes your tank, so try to make it as clean as possible and not too confusing :)
Here's the link for the chart I used. http://www.allnaturalpetcare.com/images/Nutrition_Requirments_Fish-Op.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store