"God and religion" comment form one of the threads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Not too terribly long ago, threads in GCC that dealt with issues pertaining to politics and religion got wildly out of control. It got so bad that the General Chit Chat forum was closed for a while, a moderator or two resigned, and the forum was re-opened with the proviso that threads dealing primarily with religion and/or politics were verboten. Things have been much more civil since then, and given that this is a public forum visited by lots of young hobbyists, I think that was a good idea.

Until recently, I think, a sticky was posted in this forum forbidding political or religious discussions. Things have been a lot more civil since that time, and I hope we're not seeing slippage back to what things were like in GCC a year ago or so.

Jim

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
sublime1184 said:
I do not cringe at the name or feel any different than if you said the name John or Mike......but.....

its the association of the feeling "I am right, you are wrong, now burn for it" Like I said before, not a problem if you do or don't believe.
I agree, that does have a snobbish ring to it, but it was God Himself that stated it, not His followers. So, we just agree to what He says.

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
Matak said:
I have always found that unfathomable. It is interesting. We could talk about Mohomed, Buddah, Sikh beliefs, UFO's or practically anything else under the sun with not much fur ruffling, but the moment the name of Jesus comes up, all hell breaks loose. I wonder why?

I believe the word is fear. Our country was created based on Christian beliefs. Most people in the US were raised in the faith. There are many who turn away from it because it demands to much from their lifestyle.
They are uncomfortable discussing it because no matter how hard they try, they cannot totally turn it off. This in turn makes them think of their mortality and the here after. If I had not accepted Jesus Christ as my savior I would be very uncomfortable talking about him also.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I understand everyone's point of view and I usually avoid discussions like this. Look at it this way...what if we replaced the name Jesus with let's say...Buddha. Non believers of Buddha might be offended by this statement.

I have a personal relationship with Buddha and I am wholeheartedly convinced of His salvation and the doom of those that reject or ignore Him
This is just an example, of course. I am not a Buddhist.

Nov 15, 2004
Well seeing as in my opinion this is still civil, I don't see a reason for anyone to start flaming, then that is cause for disciplinary action. But I believe Matak and myself are having a good, civil debate on an adult level. Nothing wrong with that.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Originally posted by flyfly:

I remember that sticky, it is in the rules somewhere. Personally, I dont mind either way. If you are offended by it, there are plenty of other threads to read
It's not about 'ignoring' what you don't want to read.

This is a FISH forum. So if I'm offended or not by a thread about religion in a place to gather and talk about fish is not the issue.

Religion threads no more belong here than a marine thread in freshwater aquaria keeping.

Wrong place. Period. If you want to discuss religion I can give you a hundred links to religion forums.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
It's not fear. It's offence. It would never cross my mind to tell Christians how to believe, worship, what ideas they should hold dear. It woudl behoove the preachers or witnesses or whatever you prefer to be called in this thread to have the same respect.

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Jschmidt - You are saying exactly what I was trying to. GCC was closed in large part because of these topics...and a lot of negativity went around until time "healed the wounds." Lets not pick the scabs off, okay? Reread jschmidt's post...it's completely true.

I can't even believe this thread is still open. As far as I know, it's not allowed. Perhaps I should go breaking all the rules whilst no one is looking!;)

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I guess I need to put the sticky bac up again. It must have timed out.

Yes, I will lock this one down as well. I dont like doing this but I also know how these threads end up. Most of the people that have been here for any length of time also know how these threads end up. As stated several times in this post "I just cant resist posting here", it is that very thing that gets people in trouble.

Sorry and thanks again. :cool2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store