Goldfish Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I have witnessed several accounts of adult koi attacking the fancies but not the singletails (obviously).
I have yet to see that but then again anything is possible. I am more worried about my shubs being too agressive........My neighbor hs an oranda that is about 14-16" living peacefully with several butterfly koi. I never new they could get that big.......

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Any of the mid-sized American cyprinids will work with comets, commons, and the less-delicate fancy varieties.
So are bala sharks and tinfoil barbs compatible too? I saw a pic of someone's tank on here and they had balas and tinfoils (as well as tiger barbs) in with goldfish.

modri rogatec

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
I am keeping SAEs (true ones!), garra sp. and a single guppy female with my goldies and they are all OK :)
i used to keep gold spot pleco with the goldies but moved him to a tropical tank (was not aggressive to goldies otherwise!)

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Okay, well, so far, the Rosy barbs are doing GREAT with the goldfish, and I have found that if I drop the goldfish food first, and then the meatier food, they each eat what they are supposed to, lol. (I make all my own fish food, I have one that is mostly veggie based and one that is mostly meat based.)

I had some Rosy Red minnows in the big tank, and I was worried at first that the big goldfish would eat them (1 foot goldy versus 2 inch minnow....) That did NOT happen, but I ended up removing the minnows after a week or so. They were picking horribly at the goldies, biting at their fins and slimecoats. They are now in a tank with similarly sized fish, and everyone is happy.

Conclusion - Rosy barbs, yes, Rosy minnows, no.

Kristina

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I had 11 white clouds (had a dozen...one jumped out :() with 2 black moors in a 29 gallon tank for over a year. They ignored each other completely, even in the somewhat cramped quarters. Now this group is in a 55 gallon tank and it's much the same, except everyone is much more active! Yay!

I can see comets and shubunkins eating white clouds, especially around feeding time when the flake is hitting the top. But not the slower fancies, I don't think.

goldfish247

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
Australia
I had a school of 12 zebra, yellow long finned, blue and red danios in my 164L tank with my goldies for quite some time. They were fine when the goldies were small. However, one day I woke up and the danios were gone...no sign of them anywhere.

I suspect the goldies enjoyed a nice midnight snack:(

So, for smaller goldies they are compatible, larger ones - depends on their speed.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
yes i had endlers in with goldies,.. but they weren't after them i guess they just ate them when they got in the way,.. the endlers made it over a year from newborn fry that hitched in with duckweed,.. they made it to have fry of their own then a few were missing here and there,..oopsy,..lol

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
they were only in there a day or so i scooped them out asap and were in a heated tank at 80 or so,.. the smaller batch were in unheated tank,.. by window
the others were in unheated tank that stays good and warm,,.about 78

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store