Hanging outsdie filters as interior filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't understand, how would you get it to do anything useful? These "waterfall" type filters work by sucking up water via the intake, passing it through various media and then splashing it out from the edge of the filter onto the top of the waterline, creating surface agitation. None of these things would happen if you were to submerge any of these type of filters. They might create some ripples on the surface, but that's about it. So no, I don't think it's going to work. Maybe the filter won't break, but I don't think it will provide any kind of biological, mechanical or chemical filtration.

Get a couple of Fluval U4s. Otherwise, just some really big sponge filters...or maybe try Swiss Tropicals Mattenfilters on both short ends of your tank. You'll need a powerful air pump (or two) and check valves on both tubes.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
True, no debate since you stated "Penquin HOB filters are much more energy efficient and trouble free than wet and dry or canister filters.", which is definitely not true....

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
You are not submerging the whole thing, but leaving the top above the water at the same height as hanging outside, so water will cascade down. You need a DIY bracket to hold the filter in place a few inches above water.

HOB run on 3 to 15 watts moters, so it is most energy efficient per GPH. The design is also the simplest, with few parts to go wrong. I have HOBs over 15 yeas old that are still running.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
if you want internal filters why not get a couple of the bigger Whispers which are designed to work in precisely that way?

I sympathize with your reluctance to have a device that takes water out of the tank, even if it is supposed to flawlessly return it from whence it came. My plumbing skills are not exactly world class and I would live in constant fear of something coming loose and conducting an impromptu reenactment of the Great Flood of early middle eastern fame. :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
The design is also the simplest, with few parts to go wrong. I have HOBs over 15 yeas old that are still running.
out of all the filters i've ever had, the only one where the actual filter box/body broke on me was a hob.

i would not say the penguin hob is the simplest design. that biowheel 'gimmick' is a pain to keep running properly. the way the impeller attaches to the inlet pipe is screaming for a bent impeller shaft every time you take it out/put it in if you aren't careful. the cartridges make for frequent filter cleaning (as well as the 'keep buying more cartridges for your filter' sales gimmick).

many members here have hobs that old or even older. heck, i think Rbishop has some hobs kicking around that are older than me! lol.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I've got canisters older than you also...lol.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
HOB's have been shown to be the LEAST effective method of filtration. Submersion of the motors is a good way to cause a fire and has imprinted on them to not use in water. Even though they are sealed, it is asking for problems to not use in accordance with design. The most effective method of filration is either canister or a trickle filter.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Don't forget that the HOB filter also uses the rear wall of the aquarium to justify itself in order to stay level. It's not just about putting a rail on which to hang the filter. You need the vertical wall in order to keep the filter balanced.

I don't have anything against HOB filters and I use them a lot and have had no problems with them. But I think that the use you are intending does not make much sense as there are other filters specifically designed for this situation that would work better.

If a canister filter is not an option I would suggest an internal filter.

Andy

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
The problem I have with internal filters is that you have to get your hand wet each time you change the filter media. Besides, the filter volume is even smaller than HOBs so it means you need even more frequent filter changes.

The problem I have with canister filters is that it is a closed, pressurized system. If you don't put it back right or if it develops a leak, it can turn into a fountain. Being a closed system, if there is an extended power outage, a dirty filter media can turn anaerobic and potentially discharge toxic ammonia and sulfide when the power returns.

I agree that Wet and dry is a very effective filtration for big tanks, and will fit my need to minimize space behind the tank. But I don't like its high energy consumption and evaporation loss. I go on vacation up to a month each year. I don't like to come back to see the water level drop by a foot or worse if the filtration fails in my absence due to declining water level.

I like to stick with HOBs which gave me decades of trouble free services. I agree that Penquin biowheel is a gimmick and problem prone, so I trash it on day one I set up the filter. I also agree that all HOBs need frequent filter media changes, but it is so easy to change filter that I can tolerate frequent chore. Besides, more frequent filter changes means more frequent removal of nitrate source from the system and will only benefit the fish. I bought batting fabric from JoAnne Fabric by yards to make cheap filter media.

My experiment to submerge an old Penquin filter in an empty tank is on its second day and it continues to run with no electrical short. The motor apparently is sealed and made to function underwater despite manufacturer warning against doing it. The only unknown is whether it will last for long term use.
To hang an HOB inside the tank will need the back wall support too. The only trick is how to make a bracket sturdy enough to hold the box level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store