HELP!! Clown fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
If they said everything was fine it wasn't overstocking that killed your fish. Also if your fish were still young they probably didn't produce enough bio load to stress your tank out. As to stocking in a 55 you could probably have managed if you got rid of the flounder ,"most get BIG", When you say a school of coral cats how many do you mean? Also,if you want a reef a copper band isn't the best fish to have either.
hth
Max

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
my copperband seems to not be doing so well now. It is turning kind of black on the inside. Stress? Please help I dont want to lose him. He eats frozen mysis shrimp, but when i fed my tank seems like he wants struggling to reach for it. Couldnt swim. Just layed on the sand bed against the rock or glass. Please help. My tank is dying!!!!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
bloo:

If you have not performed a water change I would do one, at least 50%... There is obviously something going on in there. The clowns may have brought some sort of wierd bacteria with them or something... although I don't think I have ever heard of a bacteria acting so fast.

I have read about Clown Ick before, and that it is fast to develop. I have read that from one day to the next the infected clowns just drop, that sometimes white spots appear and drop off over night. This happened to two of my clowns years ago, I never bought anything from that LFS ever again.

This would not explain what happened to your other fish though. Sorry I don't have more for you... definitely do the water change!

One more thing, did you QT your clowns before putting them into your main tank?

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
A water change is good advice and definetly in order. However I wouldn't do more than 50%. Too much of a sudden change (even a change in the right direction) will cause stress. You should definetly be running a fresh bag of activated carbon in your sump to pull any chemical or unknown toxin out of the water.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
A water change is good advice and definetly in order. However I wouldn't do more than 50%. Too much of a sudden change (even a change in the right direction) will cause stress. You should definetly be running a fresh bag of activated carbon in your sump to pull any chemical or unknown toxin out of the water.
yea maybe a 30% would be better with a sooner follow u if u do do 50% do it slowly

bloo1987

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
CA
I already did a 20% water change day before yesterday. So you say I should keep a bag of carbon in my sump? For how long? Do you mean the ones with the cirles or black diamonds?

I mean pretty much all my fish are dead. Diamond goby, flounder, purple firefish, pistol shrimp, and coral cats are still alive. Corals are all doing fine too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store