*HELP* DISCUS sitting on tank bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
Okay, it's not going to be an infection in all of those fish so that can be ruled out. My guess is that it's the TEMPERATURE of the water. That is the only importnant thing that you didn't post. If it's anything less than 84 that may very well explain the skittishness of the fish. It happens to mine sometimes when I do large water changes. The submersible heater comes out of the water since I change so much and it turns off and doesn't reset itself. I would do a 50% water change in your tank right now to get the nitrate level down to 10ppm. It certainly isn't helping that the level is that high. Ideally you should have the tank at 86 degrees, IMO. You will notice very different behavior even from a 4 degree change.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I did forget to mention the tank temp - HOWEVER. The temp is constantly and 84.5 +or- .5 and cence this strated I bumped my heaters up 2 degrees. I have 3 submersable 400watt Titanium heaters. Two stay in the sump and one stays in the tank.

I forgot to mention that I use a BIG wet dry filter (sized for a 350Gallon Tank) and I change the pre filter pad out every 2 weeks or so. I also run an 18watt UV sterilizer. The tank has bin running for 5 to 6 months.

Arkangel77

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
Do a 50% or more water change then. There must be something in the water agitating them.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
YEP thats my plan, as soon as I get off work! The thing is I just did a change on Thursday and Nothing new was introduced - I dont know what could be agrivating them?????

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
The other thing I dont understand is why Just the Adults. Why to the Juvy's seem fine and only the Adults seem agrivated?

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
They may have been spooked by something, but I still think there is something in the water.

Also, it is possible that their pecking order was disturbed when you took the others out. This could explain why the adults are more affected, since the juvies would still be on the bottom of the totem pole after a new heirarchy is formed. It could be that your adults are just squabbling and are stressed, though I have my doubts about this.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
WELL - I can tell you that the largest Fish I had was that Pigenblood and he was agresive to the others. He and the second largest FIsh (one of the 2 Mellons) were amount the 3 that I re-Homed. I still am going to do another water change BUT maybe its a pecking order thing>? Who knows????

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
They may have been spooked by something, but I still think there is something in the water.

Also, it is possible that their pecking order was disturbed when you took the others out. This could explain why the adults are more affected, since the juvies would still be on the bottom of the totem pole after a new heirarchy is formed. It could be that your adults are just squabbling and are stressed, though I have my doubts about this.
I think bs6749 is spot on with his conjecture.

This is typical behavior when something spooks them.

Do you have any other pets like a cat or a dog that might have just noticed them?

Discus will hide and bottom swim as a defensive instinct. They will also not eat if they are spooked but they will eat when they get hungry in a couple of days.

I have a pair that I just had to move to a new tank and they are just starting to act normally they still hide behind the filter just like yours is in the first picture.

one other thing watch them but not so they know they are being watched that will also keep there stress level up.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
When I watch them I watch them from the sofa thats in front of them. I sit and then turn around so I can see them but I am not all up in there face - Ya know.

I have no other pets - not sure whats so spooky but who knows? Lets hope the bounce back with no issues?

Arkangel77

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
OK so, after yesterday’s water change they seem to look better this morning before I left to come to work.:)

After yesterdays inspection I observed the fallowing.

They are all using both gills evenly to breath and they did not seem to be having problems. The breaths looked about like one per second or so. I also looked at them head on and I did not notice anything on there body's. No body was lying on the ground last night but they still looked stressed. :headshake2: One or 2 or the Full Grown 5 showed interest in food.

Having said that - there was ONE. He was breathing HEAVY - He was DARK, He did not look well at all. :eek: He is my Full Grown Turk. The reason, I think, is that I observed the Full Grown Snake Pushing him around. They even did the mouth lock thing a few times. The Snake seems to be letting everyone know he is the KING. I think for some reason the Turk took a beating from him yesterday. The Turk looked much better this morning and this is just a theory but based off what I saw yesterday it makes cense. Perhaps when I took out those other 3 large fish I removed the OLD KING and there is a scuffle among the Remaining adults over whom the NEW KING will be?:worthy:

My Plan is to continue the Higher Tank Temps, Do more frequent water changes for now, Watch them closely and pray!!!!!:huh:

Time will tell if things settle down.:duh:

Arkangel77

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store