*HELP* DISCUS sitting on tank bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poconogal

AC Members
Mar 22, 2006
Pocono Mountains of PA
When you say they're acting weird, in what way? What exactly are they doing? What exactly is going on? Are they all hiding now? Are they chasing each other a lot? Any clamped fins? Are they darkened?

Did you have other fish, Discus or otherwise, in the tank that they're in and are these new Discus or are all of your Discus new Discus? Did you QT any new fish before placing them in with any other fish?

I believe you said you got these fish (some or all?) only about a month ago, correct? Many times new fish can be carrying something and it will finally show itself a few weeks after you've gotten them home, which is why many people QT Discus for at least 6 weeks before placing them in their main tank. That usually gives enough time for anything that is going to start up to show itself. Many also use a "hero" fish in the QT for the last 2 weeks of QT to see if either the hero fish gets ill or the QT'd fish get ill. If no one gets ill, you're good to go!

Have you ever tested your water from the tap to see if your PH is stable after 24 hours? I know you posted your PH reading which you said was typical of your tank, but I wonder if it could be shooting up after a WC and then returning to your typical number. Discus subjected to this instability can fall ill.

Even if they are establishing a new pecking order, which is entirely possible as bs6749 pointed out, and would be an explanation for your juvies not being affected while the adults are, they would still have an interest in food -- there is a saying -- a healthy Discus is a hungry Discus. I've had spawning pairs come to eat right in the middle of spawning. There could be one or two that are so badly bullied that they'd hide and not come out to eat, but that doesn't sound like the case from your description of things. Even if they get spooked, they don't stay spooked for days, it can be a few minutes and then its over, unless there is something continuously spooking them, which is highly unlikely, especially since this just started. If they are new to you and their tank, however, many times they will hide, especially adults, for quite some time. From what I read, they were not hiding and were eating well before, correct? (By eating well I mean that they were eating with gusto -- attack, like it was the first meal they've had in weeks and like it was the last time they'd see food).

Test strips are convenient but just not that accurate. They can serve to give you an idea, that's all. If your actual test kits are old, I'd get new ones and retest. You could be having a spike and its not showing with the test strips. I've heard of that happening a lot.

I do disagree with raising your temp. 84 is fine for Discus. Jack Watley keeps his Discus at 82. In the event that you have something bacterial starting, the higher temp will serve to make it get worse, faster. Bacteria multiply faster in warmer temps. Since you've already raised it though, I'd leave it be for now. The warmer temp may spur those not eating to begin eating again.

For now I think you need to continue closely observing. Something besides a new pecking order may be brewing but what, at this point, I don't think can be pinpointed, unless you retest with new test kits and find something amiss in your water, which is also possible.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
OK – Let me take this topic by topic.

Acting weird in that they are scared or hiding more than before. NOT all but ½ or so of the Big Guys are hiding more than they were. I don’t see any Clamped fins, and last night was the only time I saw anyone darkened notably and it was the Big Turk that was getting bullied. What I do see is kinda Droopy or lazy top and bottom fins.

The Newest fish in the tank are the Adults I am having problems with. They are about a month or so in my tank. They were raised locally and I did not QT them. They have bin in the care of a local breeder for 2.5 years before I took them. I have other fish but just clean up guys and 3 rummy noise all of with have bin in there for months. I have all my Discus in the same tank right now.

I have tested the water from my tap its 8.2ph. However I use the water from my RO to do water changes and its like 7.2ish out of my RO/DI unit.

I was feeding them a lot of Live Black Worms plus there other normal frozen and pellited foods until the end of last week. They ate as they should previously. I get splashed with water in my face regularly if I am not real careful when its time to eat.

I will get a new set of test kits, seems odd that 2 different types of kits would be that far off. I have in the past takes samples to the LFS to confirm my kits accuracy.

The Temp is raised and I plan to leave it like that for a little while before I bring it down.

And I will continue to observe, change water, run test and report what’s going on. Until I see a definite tell tail sine of something I don’t know what else to do???

poconogal

AC Members
Mar 22, 2006
Pocono Mountains of PA
LOL getting splashed with water - yep, they were eating well.

I've been helping someone from Canada via PM on Simply Discus for the last 1-1/2 months. He had different readings from 3 separate test kits, and one was the LFS' test kit! Turned out his test kits were all expired and he bought new. Then one of those kits that he just bought was expired also! His issue was that he has ammonia, probably chloramines, in his tap water. He is new to keeping fish, too, so he had no idea what was going on.

Yes, just continue to observe and report, there's nothing else to be done now. As was suggested, you might want to join Simply Discus also, just in case, and report what's been going on. There are some tip top, excellent people there for disease issues and Discus. You may have to repeat a lot of what was said here and they may beat you up a bit for not QTing, but, oh well... :)

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I have bin to that site but folks here were more "Pleasent" to talk to so I kinda just started to hang here. I have read some of there stuff over there and there is a LOT of knowledge to be gained from them for sure. I am gona watch them for another day or so and decide what the next steps will be. For now - I will get some NEW test kits and continue with water / tank maintenence at the new pace I have bin. I hope things turn around. Time will tell.

Thnaks,
Arkangel77

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Hey Arkangel77...

for what its worth, simply discus is one of the more friendly discus forums out there. I have looked at quite a few discus forums, and wow... most are pretty brutal. but at simply, I often see good conversation, even with disagreements, without the whole disrespect thing... most people there seem to tend to go with the agree to disagree philosophy, and also seem to understand that different things work with different situations. you might be surprised, is all... I joined a few weeks ago, and I have been pleasantly surprised, and find myself hanging out there quite often.

anyway... just my two cents. it is a very helpful site, and you may be surprised in that most there seem friendly, from what I can tell so far anyway.

good luck either way... I hope your fish turn out okay!

-Rich

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks Rich, I was there erlier today just reading. Perhapse I should learn to Branch out more. I will possible post there in the future. I hope to get threw this current crissis as soon as possible. ARkangel77

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
I belong to simply as well as most of us discus owner's here on AC. Its just as nice over there but you do have your "people". only having they guys a month they are in no way settled in yet. it can take a long time for that to happen.

What are the sizes of discus in this tank?

how long are your lights on are they on a timer ?

How long does the non normal gill breathing last? only behavior that concerns me

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Well I am a member of SD as well. I was just reading threw a Bunch in info over there today - its bin a while cense I browsed threw there forums extensively.

I have five 5.5 to 6+" fish (the ones that are the subject of this post) and 15 or so 3 to 4 " fish.

My Lights are on timers and they get light from about 8AM to 9PM.

The Heavy Breathing was only the one fish, the one time and I haven’t seen it before yesterday. No Idea how long it lasted but it was not happening this morning.

Arkangel77

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
There are those that believe that different sized discus should not be housed together. I am not one of those but my experience with different sized is I have all sizes in my 150 and no group is that over whelming.

That could be the source of the stress and why only the big guys.

The more I think about it I think that is the answer, they are just out numbered and it bothers them.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Perhapse when I removed the other 3 and there numbers went from 8 to 5 they started to act like this.

The Thing is everyday its someone different. The Mellons have bin fine cence that first day But still not eating or rather all have stoped now - all the BIG guys.

New Test Results with my newly purchased API test Kits.

PH in Tanks looks like 74.
Its 76is from the tap and from the RO(?) we will see if its the same after it sits out overnight. Test for stability.
Amonia is Zero
Nitrite is ZERO
Nitrate looks like 25 to 30 (NEW TEST KIT - different result)

I plan to do a HUGE at least 50% water change tomarow. I did a 25% yesterday.

NEW Observations - today One of the fish seems to be favoring one fin. I guess this is clamped fin? He will use it is he wants to move fast or far but just sitting in one spot and its on his side.

The Turk that was sooo bad yesterday looks better today but now the smaller of the 2 BIG snakes looks bad or worse than yesterday. Its like every day its someone new????????????????

SO what can we draw from todays test and observations? Any Ideas. All the Small (older to my tank) fish are doing fine still. They Look Good.

Thanks in advance - Arkangel77

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store