Help! My discus are looking weird, and I think they are sick! HELP!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
okay, thanks. I am really worried:(

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Actually, the guy is selling a 28G tank with hood and light for $40? Should I take it. I do have some clear totes(20+ gallons) that I could use. Would those be okay???

Thanks

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Water parameters? Your tank is probably out of whack in that regard. I'd thoroughly clean the tank and filters and add some beneficial bacteria back to the tank to prevent a mini-cycle. A 75% water change will not harm the fish and I'd definitely increase aeration/circulation. The temp is a bit high, too. Drop it back down to 84F.
Do not treat the Discus in the display tank. Remove them to a QT and treat them there with Maracyn Plus and MelaFix. Perform daily water changes on the QT tank and keep it filtered with floss, ammonia remover and peat.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Do the other fish in my show tank have flukes too?

I don't have room for the 28G, I am trying to make space for it. I will see on what I can do.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Water Parms!!!

Nitrate~ 0ppm
Nitrite~ 2.5ppm
Ammonia~ 0ppm
Ph~ 7.4

All seems well to me?

I just added API stress zyme biological booster to that tank.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I posted in your 72g thread. I strongly believe that the white lines are not parasites, but rather the slime coat deteriorating and bunching into lines. Your fish are stressed no doubt. I`ve had young angelfish purchased from pet stores develop these exact little white lines shortly after acquiring them. No other fish would develop the lines, the lines didn't look parasitic, and they would usually go away in a few days after the angels were quarantined (no meds, temperature change,etc.). I figured that the juvenile angels were just stressed from the activity or competition for food from the other fish in my tank. I would try separating the discus and not use meds or anything and just make sure their quarantine tank is calming. Leave lights off for a few days, make sure water agitation isn't too choppy, etc. How small are your discus? With juvie discus, you're actually supposed to place them in a small tank for a group (20-30g tank range). Discus juries feel more at ease in a smaller tank. Once they get to about 4-5", you can them move them to a large display tank. My thought is that you have your juvie discus in too small of a tank, they're stressed to the point of losing their slime coat and just need a smaller, much less active tank for a while to regain their slime coat and grow in size. I would advise against putting any meds in their qt tank.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
whoops, I mixed up nitrate and nitrite while typing:)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I posted in your 72g thread. I strongly believe that the white lines are not parasites, but rather the slime coat deteriorating and bunching into lines. Your fish are stressed no doubt. I`ve had young angelfish purchased from pet stores develop these exact little white lines shortly after acquiring them. No other fish would develop the lines, the lines didn't look parasitic, and they would usually go away in a few days after the angels were quarantined (no meds, temperature change,etc.). I figured that the juvenile angels were just stressed from the activity or competition for food from the other fish in my tank. I would try separating the discus and not use meds or anything and just make sure their quarantine tank is calming. Leave lights off for a few days, make sure water agitation isn't too choppy, etc. How small are your discus? With juvie discus, you're actually supposed to place them in a small tank for a group (20-30g tank range). Discus juries feel more at ease in a smaller tank. Once they get to about 4-5", you can them move them to a large display tank. My thought is that you have your juvie discus in too small of a tank, they're stressed to the point of losing their slime coat and just need a smaller, much less active tank for a while to regain their slime coat and grow in size. I would advise against putting any meds in their qt tank.
are you sure, I have bought baby angels from even petco, and I never ever saw those lines. Well, live and learn, I will try doing what you say first. hopefully, you are right as none of the other fish are showing this. :D

I will use the 29G I am buying today to help them:)

My discus are 2.5"-3" in size. I bought these discus from a local breeder who had 2 37G tanks with 15 of these in each tank. They were barebottom tanks, they were all colorful, and eating well. I picked the healthiest I could see. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store